Windscreen repairs

Slugster

My front screen is starting to show its age (10yrs) now and I'd really like a nice shiny new one. It has all the signs of being peppered by road grit and crap during it's life and also has a couple of nice wiper marks from worn blades over its life. As a bonus it has 2 chips around 8mm one on the passenger side and one in the driver critical zone but not enough to fail the MOT on. I have full screen cover on my insurance inc free repair of chips. I'm a bit concerned that these 2 chips could grow and cause problems in the future. So, if I call my insurer and tell them about the chips who decides if the screen needs replacing, or is a repair the only option I face?

Edit for bad speeling - must try harder. 7/10

Edited by Slugster

Thanks guys. I understand the criteria for the free repair bit, I had a large free chip/crack repair done on my Mondeo St and it was done really well and you had to know where it was to see it, clever stuff. It's the scratches and grit pits that bother me. The peppering is quite visible as in 0.5mm size pits spread all over the sceen and there a loads of them and rough to the touch, plus I get through wiper blades in no time at all. I dont mind paying the £50 excess if required for a replacement screen, if it comes to it. I'll give them a call and see what they reckon.

Edited by Slugster

I very much doubt you would be able to make the choice of repair or replace yourself. If its only chipped and it can be repaired, this is what they will do.

Of course, if the chips were turned into cracks the replacement would be only option.

Of course, if the chips were turned into cracks the replacement would be only option.

Quite.

Maybe a hammer is a bit unsubtle, but a deftly placed screwdriver given a bit of a tap with aforesaid hammer would probably produce the desired result. :lol:

Angus

Somehow one of the chips turned into a crack overnight on Monday, I blame the frost. So yesterday morning (Tues) I spoke to a very nice lady from the insurance company who relieved me of £60 from my card, I thought is was £50 but I was wrong, glass is £60 and accidental damage etc is £100 excess, she put me on to a repair man who took all the car details etc and then said there's going to be a delay on a G7 screen :D , can they do it today? (Weds). if thats a delay it sounds a good one to me. The guy turned up at 09.15 and was on his way by 11.30. He had a look at my old screen and counted 6 nasty stone chips and said any one of the could have gone at any time, as the one that did, did! The view out the new screen is lovely and clear now and I'm a very happy Slugster. If I was to real picky, I reckon the front tint is slightly lighter than the original, or it could just be more light getting through without all the chips :)

glassout.jpg Eek, I hope it all goes back together!

Edited by Slugster

Somehow one of the chips turned into a crack overnight on Monday, I blame the frost.

:D I blame the screwdriver. :)

Some delay that - I had to wait a bloody month before they could get the trim for the windscreen for the BMW! Got it done on Monday though and yeah, what a difference it makes.

All good.

Angus

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.