Fuel consumption test - V-Power, oil etc

piloteer81

I seem to remember someone else having done a similar thing (if anyone has some data on this do let me know) but as the Gen 7 has a trip computer with two trip records, I've just started a little experiment. Normal Shell vs V-power on fuel consumption. I do a mix of journeys from motorway to town driving but don't do that much mileage so it might take me a while! I fill up with 48 litres and keep going till the final light goes out on the fuel gauge, record the mileage, then resetting it to start again. Only had the car a month so haven't got a lot of data yet but will hopefully have some graphs in the next few months that will start to build an average picture. I'm curious if V-power is really worth it - it's a fair bit more expensive (usually around 7%) so just to break even you're looking at needing around 30 miles per tank more. I'm also interested in the recommended oil vs something like 0w-40 fully synth - (I used this on my Gen 6GT and it seemed to make a sizeable difference to fuel consumption) and also Redex.

If anyone has done anything similar do post your findings.

I did tests on this ages ago. I compared normal Unleaded, Super Unleaded (both from Shell) & then the same again but with Acetone added.

The long & short of it is that, Super Unleaded is the best. You can easily see 30 miles more depending on your driving sytle.

I have tested this on the gen 6 3sge and got 270miles to 95 octane and 330+ from 99 octane, a lot of it does depend on the type of driver you are and the condition of your car, but from what most people have said the 99 octane does give you more miles for your money

as has been said if you change from standard fuel by this i mean bp or shell unleaded not supermarket PISS.

you need to dissconnect the battery and alow the car to idle for ten mins to re lean and adjust it's fueling to v-power or alike to get proper results.

you can't use a tank full of standard then just put a tank full of v-power if after and compare data,you just wont get correct results.

plus oil makes a massive difference also!

and V-power contains cleaning agents!

Didn't 5th gear do a test where it was shown tha V Power etc did nothing for N/A cars.

I can't help but think if I put V Power in, I am then on a mission to get more MPG and therefore my driving style would change to a more conservative method and not then get a true refleciton of V Power "benefits"

makes me drive harder, make those extra pence work for there money.

Didn't 5th gear do a test where it was shown tha V Power etc did nothing for N/A cars.

I can't help but think if I put V Power in, I am then on a mission to get more MPG and therefore my driving style would change to a more conservative method and not then get a true refleciton of V Power "benefits"

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.