Can cracks on rims be welded and is it advisable?

wilbo83

yes they can. if you find a top notch repairer they will prob do it but not guarantee the work. i used to be good friends with a bloke who does this and its amazing what can be done.

I had a crack welded, but it was perpendicular to the wheel edge and not as big as that. Weld looked good and solid, but again no gurantees whatsoever from the guy that did it.

After a week or so I got shot of the wheels - just wasn't as happy with the idea as I thought I'd be, and was driving like a granny "just in case".

Angus

I had a crack repaired in mine which was only tiny on the inside but that's because my wheels are ridiculously expensive do didn't want to chuck em!

Of course it'll always be better to just buy new ones but I haven't had any problems....

yes , its ground out and welded to fill the new hole then ground down so its near impossible to see the repair , once painted it becomes impossible , the repair if done correctly should be as good as prior to the repair , then theres lead loading , the lead is heated and smeared into the crack and ground down , its cosmetic and not upto much , the worst if body filler and a bit of paint , really not recommended at all although theres always some bugger who then goes onto do half a million miles with there rims full of plastic padding

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.