Seat Belts

oMIKEYo

Really interested in changing my seat belts to red ones :- just to be unique.

Will this be very hard to do? Think it will be a nice subtle mod which will look quite nice :D

Sourced seat belts themselves £9 off eBay, probably cheaper than that somewhere though

Anyone done this before??

Mikey

I had a look on ebay, think i found a totally wrong thing tbh haha, seat belts seem to be expensive now, found some thick webbed stuff for 9 pound but not quite the same. Going to do some searching me thinks :)

Not sure if youd have to buy the whole mechanism etc or just the belt itself, failing that, could always buy white ones and die them :D

Edited by oMIKEYo

Yeah im just wanting to change the webbing, is it possible to keep all old fiddley bits and just replace that or will i have to buy the whole seatbelt plus clips on them and retractors etc?

As i can get hold of just the webbing after browsing google 'Red seat belt upholstery webbing' etc, mostly from america though!!

Maybe its just an idea which is not going to work? Haha, unless i can use any cars seatbelts to replace, rather than specific 'celica' ones? But curious about the lengths etc

Mikey

I would advise against really as you would have to fix the new belt webbing to the recoil mechanism which obviously has a wound up spring, if your motor was involved in an accident and the belt failed it could be fatal or your insurrance invalid.

is 10 meters enough for 2 front and 2 back?

seat belts are very long lol

i found some being sold in treorchy, not far from me lol

:lol: we are determined to do this!! Haha

If cars all use the same length, maybe can get the full system second hand from somewhere? I read on a fiat forum from google that someone got a whole set for £40 :lol:

Edited by oMIKEYo

My brother has done it on his golf, changed to dark blue to match the interior. It was only possible because we have industrial sewing machines at work...without one of these I don't think it can be done...

Ohhh, and how much will he charge me for mine? :lol:

4 Belts to Red :lol:

i've been in touch with a supplier of webbing

he said

"Hi,

We do not make the occupant restraint systems ourselves. There are numerous small businesses that will fit new seatbelt webbing.

We sell a fair bit to enthusiasts who do the work themselves so it is possible to DIY. Some stitching is required and the webbing is quite thick.

Regards

Paul Hurst

- ribbonsltd"

so it is very much possible by the looks of it

Edited by blaine

Would changing the seatbelt by putting new webbing into the exsisting mechanism not invalidate the insurance and fail the MOT?

someone else has said that, but i dont see how

providing the seatbelts work i dont see how it'd fail the mot or invalidate the insurance

but im sure someone will post a link or advice about this

someone else has said that, but i dont see how

providing the seatbelts work i dont see how it'd fail the mot or invalidate the insurance

but im sure someone will post a link or advice about this

Becasue the webbing you use would need to have a proven safety rating surely to match the spec of the origional seatbelts

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.