Wots is Wheel Alignment?

chan110

Unless the operator first checks the rear wheels are centred on the car it could still be wrong with a 4wheel laser alignment. Very few bother doing this step as it adds time to the process when they can miss it out yey still show a bit of paper with a before adjustment in red and after in green that says its all done ;)

Geometry check is next step up and takes over an hour to do. Car felt planted after mine was done by wheels in motion.

A lot of less honest garages "sell" basic alignment as laser alignment because the units use a laser to project the line onto the marker plates that hang on the rear wheels. This just aligns each front wheel to the rear wheel so if the rear wheel(s) are out then the front will never be right.

Full laser alignment is done as per the pic above, each wheel has independant sensors that are checked by a rig at the front of the ramp. Usually cost more as the kit is more expensive but its the best way to have it done.

Just got back from having mine done, what a difference, no more silly rear camber well 1.1degree on it now...the car was all over the place on the way down there and a missive improvement after, I haven't had chance to push it yet because of traffic. The initial turn in felt a lot better on the way home! Money well spent!

A lot of less honest garages "sell" basic alignment as laser alignment because the units use a laser to project the line onto the marker plates that hang on the rear wheels. This just aligns each front wheel to the rear wheel so if the rear wheel(s) are out then the front will never be right.

Full laser alignment is done as per the pic above, each wheel has independant sensors that are checked by a rig at the front of the ramp. Usually cost more as the kit is more expensive but its the best way to have it done.

Hmmm....maybe I should re-do my with a garage having the proper 4wheel laser alignment? :shrug:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.