Painting new heat shield

Quick question. 

I'm replacing the heat shield above the CAT on my gen 7 and was thinking I would paint it to try and stop the bolts holes corroding. Do you reckon I would be OK with normal etch and stone chip paint? Seems excessive to but some VHT paint.

I painted the exhaust manifold heat shield on my gen6 with high-temp Cerakote. It's a bit of a palava & you need an HVLP gun etc but it's held up perfectly. Looks like BBQ paint will do the job too though :D

Used silver vht paint on mine, only downside if you use etch primer I don't think it has the heat resistance of the higher temp paint, so just cleaned and scratched the surface of the heatshield and sprayed the vht on as it was, still seems fine at the moment. Does get dirty after a short while so doesn't really matter in the long run.

You'll be looking under the car in 12 months and feel disappointed how dirty it's got after all the hard work you've put in.

3 hours ago, armoredfist2002 said:

Used silver vht paint on mine, only downside if you use etch primer I don't think it has the heat resistance of the higher temp paint, so just cleaned and scratched the surface of the heatshield and sprayed the vht on as it was, still seems fine at the moment. Does get dirty after a short while so doesn't really matter in the long run.

You'll be looking under the car in 12 months and feel disappointed how dirty it's got after all the hard work you've put in.

Yeah I can imagine mate. I only wanted to protect the fastener holes as it always goes there. I'll do the same on the backbox one as well.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.