Celica navigation system

leezr160

What is all this app radio malarky they seem cheaper even big brand name stuff but i dunno how they work. Do they not have thier own operating system and need a phone?

I have the App Radio 2 (SPH-DA100) which isn't all that expensive to pick up these days. You have the option to either connect an Iphone 4(s) or most Android phones (as long as you have the android kit) and use the Pioneer App Radio App which will allow you to play music, sat nav, However the functionality is a little poor with just the standard app.

For a while I was running an old Iphone4s that was constantly hooked up in the glove box - this way I didn't have to connect a phone every time I was in and out of the car. However, battery dying and having the relaunch the app every now and again was getting kind of annoying.

So I bought an android stick and rooted the device, then purchased the app radio unchanged app from the play store which allows you to use the screen mirroring function on the app radio with android devices, but gives you full touch screen control with the android software.

Very easy to do, and there are many guides out there - you basically have a carputer system as you can play games, watch tv, music, movies, use google maps or any other sat nav system you wish.

I haven't messed about with it lately however I need to find a way of which I can still connect my phone via bluetooth for the handsfree function without knocking out the android stick, I am sure it is easily done though.

got a link to the android stick you got? id like to do something similar, could go the easy route and get a full on android head unit but they seem to be all china branded and have specs like snr of 60db which is very poor audio quality.

Both myself and Vin use this model, possibly more...

http://www.gearbest.com/tv-box/pp_157926.html

Frustrating for me the price has come down a fair bit now since September, but to be expected I guess. I do have some teething issues with some of the apps (none that I actually use for the car) crashing on me. I am going to do a firmware flash using the standard android 4.4 one and hopefully will sort it out.

Only thing that I find somewhat annoying is it doesn't play music from the last point you had the car running, like your typical CD player would. There is probably some setting to sort this, but it does not annoy me that much.

As you mention, it streams apps from the phone (iphone or android) or android stick. If you use only the licensed App Radio app, you are limited to what apps you can use. If you do not connect a phone or android stick the unit basically useless, as you will only be able to use the radio, and hands free system. In addition, you can connect up a wireless/wired camera.

To get the full potential from the unit, you are best to connect to an android stick. Using the screen mirror function it gives you the android interface on the head units screen. Bare in mind without rooting and installing the app radio unchained app, you will not be able to touch the screen in order to navigate/use any of the apps. You can connect a mouse, or use the remote control that is provided however this would be pointless in my mind.

Really simple steps to root the device and install the other app from the Play store. If you check out Vin's mod thread, he has some videos of the kit in action, YouTube is also full of demos with the android software on the unit. I have found some tweaks that are not in the guides online that speed up the connection time - under 20 seconds. I use my phone as a wifi hot spot which then gives the head unit internet access - so can go online, use Google maps, sky go, TV catch up, spotify etc. And with it being android UI - you can customize it in pretty much anyway you want.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.