Steering had become light

Heepsy92

So over the past week I've noticed that the steering of the car has become very light, my usual corner that I can take at 50+ mph now feels very dangerous taking it at 30mph as the car is sliding.

Tyres are:

Rainsport 3 on the front, 30psi, plenty of tread left only a year old tyre

Goodyear Eagle F1 on the back, 30psi, plenty of tread left again only a year old

I had a slight pull to the left so when I went to get the tracking sorted was told the tracking rods had seized and need new ones, quoted £135 for new tracking rods, tracking plus labour

Also have MeisterR Zeta-R Coilovers if that helps

any ideas on what could be causing the problem, its only started recently?

The roads have been plastered with salt and damp for the last week or so - very slippery.

Seized arms will mean seized adjusting nuts. Needs soaking in wd40 for a few days then a decent garage. Did they actually check the tracking ? It may not need changing.

Also, is it front or back sliding ?

The car slightly pulls to the left so when I went to get it sorted he said the tracking rods were seized and needed snapped off and replaced.

When I'm going slightly left on a sweeping corner The car starts sliding towards the centre of the road so not sure if it's front or back as ive never had this before, It sets of the stability control as it beeps

It really could be the road conditions. .iv just had 4 new yokos fitted all round and on dry and wet roads they stick like shit to a blanket but the last few days with all this salt and crap on the roads iv noticed a massive difference and am too noticing front end slide on sharp corners and am having to reduce my speed to compensate

Bit like me at Knockhill on Saturday but that was because I could not get any heat into the rubber. Like ice driving without studs.

well my first thought was "maybe its because of them being summer tyres" but just wanted other peoples opinions on whether it could be something minor or something that could be potentially dangerous for myself and other drivers

well my first thought was "maybe its because of them being summer tyres" but just wanted other peoples opinions on whether it could be something minor or something that could be potentially dangerous for myself and other drivers

Probably rubber related in present conditions. Just drive slower. I had to reduce my lap times by 7 secs just to stay on line.

I'd expect rainsports to be better than the Goodyears in the real slimy stuff - not that I've tried either but based on past experience of the 2 manufacturers. I would therefore expect the back to slide first, which would appear is what's happening. This would also indicate it's not a front end steering problem.

As above, you would probably gain some benefit in softening your dampers off, especially the back. Slippery conditions demand narrow, high profile tyres and soft suspension for best grip.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.