The grass is not greener...

LucyLou

How does the MK3 MR2 compare to the Celica?

Same engine but completely different layout obviously

I'm considering one as a summer/weekend/possible track car and using my Celica for daily duties

Difficult (and probably a bit unfair) to compare - and I must emphasise that I am no 'driving god' :lol: so I can't really comment on technical stuff.

But generally, I feel that the MR2 handles better. It's lighter obviously, which helps. It feels slightly more 'planted' than the Celica - I feel more confident throwing it into corners (not that I do a great deal of that at my age :lol: but just enough to have some fun!). It definitely feels like a sports car, with the low driving position, and the engine behind you. But the Celica is also fairly low compared to many modern cars. I've got used to that now.

I found that the handling of the Celica improved when I changed the 18" wheels for 17" (the barely used tyres on the new set probably also helped). But I still find that the Celica 'tramlines' on rough surfaces, which the MR2 doesn't. I do find this a bit disconcerting, but am getting more used to it. The suspension has also been lowered, which I know a lot of people do without problems, but my OH has his doubts about this. Having said that, he's a bit of a stickler for 'keeping things stock', so he prefers the MR2 because it's basically as it left the factory - with the exception of refurbished brakes and pre-cats removed.

Acceleration-wise, I guess the MR2 is quicker because it's lighter, but there's plenty enough power in the Celica for my purposes. I did consider a T-Sport (and we test drove one) but the advantages of lift didn't outweigh the higher initial cost, insurance and road tax (not as a second car, anyway). I don't 'need' lift - I just need a car that is quick enough to overtake when I need it, can cruise happily on the motorway in 6th (I do about 250-300 motorway miles a week), is reasonably fuel efficient and is nice to look at :) Both the MR2 and the Celica fit those requirements.

I didn't really plan to get a Celica as well when I got the MR2 - it was going to be my daily driver. But I've always liked the Gen 7s, and this one came up locally, and the rest is history :rolleyes:

Overall, I like them both, for different reasons. I actually find that I get more attention in the Celica than the MR2 - probably because it looks so different to other cars, whereas the MR2 is probably sometimes mistaken for an MX5 by those who don't know :angry:

There is a good MR2ROC Forum if you haven't already found it: http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB3/index.php

Edited by moorx
  • Like 1

Was almost very tempted to put my car for sale and get a Mk V golf GTi for a more mature forced induction rush. Then, I soon remembered that the 190 is still clinically quick through the twisties in 2nd - 4th gears!

It'll be hard car to get rid of, so I guess i'll keep celi until something eventually breaks! A little bit more torque will be nice, but then again, a sub-7.5 s 0-60 time is still quite respectable!

It's only when you realise that you're gapping other cars on B roads do you realise that it's not a bad little runner!

I don't 'need' lift - I just need a car that is quick enough to overtake when I need it, can cruise happily on the motorway in 6th (I do about 250-300 motorway miles a week), is reasonably fuel efficient and is nice to look at :)

i know alot of people on the forums over the years i have been here and they get bored sell up, then they are back a short time later cussing the shit box they bought and why oh why did i ever let my celica go! :lol:

Agree......and that's why the Celica is such a good car...I don't want something that merely gets me from A to B...boring euro box crap...in whatever guise.!

It's one of the very few cars I've had that MAKES me want to get out and drive it. (the only other I can think of was a Volvo V70 which had that lovely 5 cylinder symphony under the bonnet. :))

I have my issues with it in terms of long distance comfort (my fault, not the car) but overall it is simply brilliant and frankly I'd be hard pushed to replace it with anything that equalled it for the money and the smile factor.

Neil

I love my Gen 7. I've had it nearly a year now and I love driving it and I love looking at it, especially as I've changed a few cosmetic things to make it my own on a very small budget.

I did the wheels white for about £30. Painted the calipers orange for a fiver. Got some orange/white decals from Mook for under £20 to give the badges and wheel centre caps a fresh look to fit in with my theme. Painted the centre console orange for about a tenner and replaced the standard stereo with a Kenwood double din with the money I got from selling the stereo and cd changer. £50 on some HID's to make it look more modern and the same amount for a C-Scoop to make it look meaner.

My one extravagant spend was on a GT gear knob at £45 but even with that I'm still under £250 overall and I feel like I've done well for my money in regards to making the car feel my own.

And that brings me to the most mind blowing aspect of this car is that having bought it for just under a grand, I've added all these bits and stuck 4 new Rainsport 3 tyres on it and its only cost me a grand total of £1500.

There are few cars, if any, that can match the looks, power and price of a Celica in my eyes.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.