Spraying NEW alloys

Yes new ones , may sound mad , but my bbs alloys should be here the next day or so , but I had to opt for silver with a polished lip but ideally I wanted gold with a silver lip

Main probs are they are very very multi cross spoke jobbies , so either I spend the next 500 years , sanding every spoke or can I use etch primer

Afaik etch is ideal for alloys and for awkward areas that you would struggle to sand , but can it be used on top of exiting paint , Obvoiusly I don't want to swack it on a new set and end up melting paint and have new fucked up rims

Etch primer will be fine instead of sanding Sonic. Just make sure you degrease them first as finger prints and etch primer don't make good bed fellows. Computer screen wipes are great for degreasing wheels and very cheap. Just make sure you let them dry fully. I usually heat the alloys very gently with a heat gun on the lowest setting to evaporate any moisture immediately before etch priming. A hair drier on the hottest setting is probably as good but being as bald as an orange I can't possibly comment on that. :P

Alan

Here's an ebay link for 3 cans of gold paint and a can of lacquer for £22.99 including post. 370836150185

The paint is made by E-tech and is specifically for alloy wheels as it is dirt and chip resistant. The shade of gold is really nice in the metal, so to speak. Slightly more yellow than it looks on screen and very similar to the original colour on Scooby wheels (which it was formulated to match). I've used this paint in various colours on loads of alloys and it is very hard wearing. The seller is good too.

HTH,

Alan

Thanks guys , sadly not spilt rims , something to do with not being genuine :) but by the time I have finished shopping on eBay , no one will be able to tell , just waiting for them to be delivered

Shame,

I got given the hell task to paint a set of LM reps pink....many painless hours of sanding and masking they looked bloody lovely!

Do they have the little stud effect things around the rim? I ended up painting them with a bush...never again haha!

Yes , the studs are gold , and they are the rs style so about a billion spokes :D , I tend to do most things myself , but I may wave the white flag and farm the job off to a pro lol

If the part you need to paint is already painted I would just give them a good key using grey scotchbrie till there very dull and hit them straight with the colour! No need to .prime themif the paint is new and intact really.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.