Magnetic sump plugs…pros and cons?

Rather unsurprisingly I guess the answer was a very definite no. 'All drives have to be securely disposed off for data protection', fair enough really. So if you got some spares soul then PM me :)

I wouldn't fit a magnetic sump plug to any car, IMO they are bad news.. Let the oil filter do the job it was designed for. The way I see it, if you do have metal particles in the oil, the oil filter will capture them, they are then contained away from harms way unable to do any damage and will be removed next time you change the oil filter. Also hypothetically, imagine you have a bunch of now slightly magnetised metal bits all stuck together, and somehow they break free of the magnetic sump plug, instead of little bits of metal floating around the engine, you now have a big bit of metal floating around the engine which could block oil ways, get stuck in turbo oil feed lines ( if you have one) do way more damage than individual bits. Also you would have to make sure you cleaned every single partial of metal off the sump plug each time you did an oil change or you would be reintroducing them into the engine when you put the sump plug back in. Letting them get captured by the oil filter prevents this.

Edited by Insanity-74

For me this is a case of 'and' not 'for and against'

Regular oil changes - definitley Yes

&

good quality oil - definitley Yes

&

quality oil filter - definitley Yes

&

engine flush - if it makes you feel better/happy/peace of mind - then Yes

&

magnetic sump plug,magnet on the oil filter . . well why not . . . . not exactly heavy are they? and the cost will not break the bank will it?

If a magnet prevents a bit of metal circulating (or getting stuck) around the engine, the oil pump or oil feeds etc, that a good thing isn't it?

Opinions were asked for, not saying mine is right, but that's my view - always have and always will fit a magnetic sump plug . . . . you could say I'm attracted to the idea . . . sorry, I'll get mi' coat :)

Just ordered the plug from Motorsport Developments website: http://shop.motorsport-developments.co.uk/all-toyota-m12x125-803-p.asp

I would say I will report back on effectiveness, but as long as it fits it will be a year before I know how well its worked :blink: Deffinatley what you call a 'long term' mod :lol:

i personally dont see any harm in them at all- i understand the thoughts of clumping but as others have said the first time you use one you get quite a bit of crap and the rest of the time it will just be a bit furry, so with regular oil changes in theory shouldnt be a problem- only had NA engines mind. maybe an idea to do a removal, clean and refit after a few miles once fitted? as for cleaning i do that every time i change oil whether it has a magplug or not anyway so makes no odds*

all of the engines i've worked on at work have magplugs (what we call them in the trade) but they also have very complex oil systems which probably prevent the situation insanity is suggesting

its just in my mind surely an effort to remove and FOD from the oil gallerys has to be a plus point

oh and PS- another plus, chances are if you drop it on removal, as its magnetic, it will stick to your sump instead of dropping into your drip tray- saves diving in to find it afterwards :lol:

and as for the comments about all alloy engines- they still have steel internals dont they, this "swarf" tends to be slight edges taken off moving parts such as con rods, bearings, crank etc nothing to do with what the head and block are cast from.

*disclaimer- if a mag plug furrs up and writes off your engine, don't blame me

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.