Why would changing from third to fourth gear be difficult sometimes?

Hello hello, mate at work is thinking of getting a Celica soon :-D but we came across one that generally seems really good, only problem is is this

"Fourth gear sometimes 'snags' on the change up from third. It doesn't happen all the time and always fully engages."

Now what possibilities are there for causing this, the guy reckons it just needs an oil change, but I've been abit ... Meh, couldn't imagine it being that simple. Any ideas peoples? :-)

gear box isn't strongest feature. Mine and a lot of others struggle to get 2nd to 3rd without dropping out of lift. Rarely a major problem. I'm told I'm doing it wrong, stop slamming accross the gate give it a nanosecond pause and push it in positively, yeah right..... Most report improvement with a quality oil change and if you are quick you can hop onto a group buy from se7ven who are doing some brass bushes which have a reputation for significant improvement,. only about 20& fitting. Some swear by short shifters but don't get a cheap one.

Edited by daytona

Cheap short shifter can make things more difficult. A DTracer shifter with the se7en brass bushes and a oil change may help.

Think serratia had a similar issue when he installed his JDM box and it needed parts replacing but not 100% sure.

Also celicaben is having a similar issue going into 6th.. http://www.celica-club.co.uk/forum/index.php?/topic/152539-after-five-years-new-username-and-lift/page__st__100#entry1916479

Dunno if any of that will help :lol:

FFS I must learn to keep my gob shut until I have money in the bank. Already prob picking up a set of skirts I hadn't budgeted for this weekend. I shouldn't be so scared of missing a bargain. I'm rapidly turning into a little green eyed hoarder. PML Gollum!!! That's what I'm like picking up bits. "Come to Smeagle, my precious, come to Smeagle!"

FFS I must learn to keep my gob shut until I have money in the bank. Already prob picking up a set of skirts I hadn't budgeted for this weekend. I shouldn't be so scared of missing a bargain. I'm rapidly turning into a little green eyed hoarder. PML Gollum!!! That's what I'm like picking up bits. "Come to Smeagle, my precious, come to Smeagle!"

I've just picked up rear strut and sportsM dials which I have no idea how to convert to read in MPH or if they will propperly yet. So I know how you feel :lol:

Back on topic though!

What's wrong with cheap short shifters, they do the job!

Could be the linkage bushes that need replacing mate or the linkages themselves. Could be that the ball joint on the shifter needs greasing up or the cradle has come loose for whatever reason (doubt it though)

It could, on the other hand, be box related. Synchro might be going, does it crunch? As mentioned, could just need an oil change.

Plethora of possibilities unfortunately.

A get it occasionally shifting into third, when being aggressive, learnt to just pause a millisecond then shove it in gear.

Sorry to hijack this thread a bit but what are the brass bushes and where do they go? Are they easy to fit? And how much are the good short shifters?

What's wrong with cheap short shifters, they do the job!

Could be the linkage bushes that need replacing mate or the linkages themselves. Could be that the ball joint on the shifter needs greasing up or the cradle has come loose for whatever reason (doubt it though)

It could, on the other hand, be box related. Synchro might be going, does it crunch? As mentioned, could just need an oil change.

Plethora of possibilities unfortunately.

Cheap short shifters do! But are a lot former than the standard and can be awkward to pop into gear occasionally from past eBay experience. Dtracers is meant to be best bang for buck though! But the trd smoothness is awesome. Can't compare the dtracer and this as never tried one!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.