How hard is it to interchange another Toyota steering wheel?

Saw this guys TRD wheel with a custom wrap:

TRDwheel-11.jpg

I love it, but they're expensive. How hard is it to interchange a steering wheel from... say an Auris or a Yaris?

Like one of these:

2010-Toyota-Auris-Steering-Wheel.jpg

I can get my hands on one, and there's a guy who's done it to an MR2 here:

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?280906-Are-toyota-steering-wheels-interchangeable

Anyone got any experience on doing this?

Edited by geraintthomas

2010-Toyota-Auris-Steering-Wheel.jpg

Can't you find a better wheel than that though, it's ugly as sin!

I don't reckon it's clunky Vauxhall styling will match your interior any better than the one does the in the linked MR2 thread.

(And that one had carbon goodness - Which is normally a free pass, with me anyway! B) ).

See, on the MR2 they've put a curvy styled (middle) one on to a boxy looking dash & you'd be putting a boxy looking wheel onto a curvy dash.

Think you're better off with a TRD wheel tbh.

Your spiral cable doesn't have enough spare terminals for the stereo buttons, but the biggest problem could be the air bag loom connectors.

Also air bag volumes are designed for the intended vehicle and swopping from another vehicle could cause insurance issues.

Every time I drive a newer Toyota this type of wheel centre reminds me of Ironman's helmet. (Mask before J03 takes the piss)

Depends on the loom plug, they maybe the same or different.

Some airbags have 1 yellow plug, others have a yellow plug and an orange plug.

I fit a gen 7 wheel to my Rav 4 but kept the original Rav airbag.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.