Snap Rings

Does anyone know where I can get snap rings from? In the process of removing the rear CV joint to clean it up I broke the snap ring in half, Toyota do not sell them, you have to buy the full CV joint, I can find anywhere that does them, getting very desperate now as the rebuild is at a halt without them.

This is what I am after, its the rear outter CV joing for a faff

thanks in advance.

Nial

Have you had a look on www.toyodiy.com? I've had a look at the MR2 and they list the snap ring seperately, I can't imagine them not supplying it seperately it's pretty much a consumable item.

I reckon they didn't look properly.

I have the EPC at home and cant see it listed seperately, they list a snap ring, but it is for the inner CV joint i ordered it and when it arrived it was totally wrong, I have tried several sources and all say the same thing, not available separately from the dealers, or it seems anywhere else for that matter, its frustrating hell, as you say its a more or less consumable item.

On Toyo DIY there's a part number for 'RING, SNAP (FOR REAR AXLE SHAFT LH)' 90521-79002.

Same part number for the right hand one.

I did a google search and it looks like the snap ring that goes in the centre of the hub to keep the wheel bearings in place.

seems i have some bad news mate, turns out the outer cv shouldnt be removed from the shaft as to replace them you need to buy a new shaft therefore the snap rings are not available seperately. maybe you could compare the snap ring with a company such as this - http://www.springmas...din-7993-a.html

(think theres always going to be a minimum order though so you would end up with snap rings coming out of your ears) or maybe buy a couple of shafts from one of the breakers.

its a strange one as i always thought the joint could be knocked of and replaced like on most other cars.

hope this helps mate

Edited by ashparky

Cheers Ash, someone from the DC showed me the springmasters place, looks like I will be the proud owner of 300 snap rings soon :)

I dont suppose you could find out the dimensions of the snap rings for me? mine is in several pieces and quite hard to get an accurate measurement from.

haha well ill know where to send the next person who needs one. i could have a go, how about measuring the groove in the shaft? i would think it should probably be about 1mm bigger than the groove and loose to touch but not enough to come out of the groove. maybe in the 300 you could get an assortment of sizes around the size you need then find the best fit from there. just make sure you have a good way of testing that it well held on before clipping the boot on.

Bloody hell I'm glad I didn't break the snap rings when I changed the outer CVs on my MR2. :o

Although I'm sure at least one of the guys on Twobrutal will have broken one, we swap the outer CVs so the Mk2 turbo shaft will plug straight into the Mk1 MR2 hubs.

Shall I ask over there for you or will it be a different snap ring? :think:

Popped that up for you.

The thing that's confusing me is you mention 90520-26028 is square in shape, surely it should be round? It's the same part number as the circlip that holds the outer CVs on the MK2 Tubby drive shafts and that's def round.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.