Water ingress around aerial.

Very small amount of water seepage getting in around the aerial, just a few drips at this stage but with winter coming I’m worried about frost getting in and making it worse! :( It’s a Gen 6, but as its not a stock aerial I thought I’d throw it open to all.

You can just see in the pics how the rubber appears to be out of place around about half of the ball. So assuming this is where water is getting in.

So question is, anyone like to hazard a guess at how to remove this without breaking anything so the rubber seals can be adjusted/replaced as needed???

post-32999-0-20874000-1353007661_thumb.jpg

post-32999-0-08165400-1353007667_thumb.jpg

Yea diff car :lol:

TBH I'm not sure mate. I'd taken all the panels out as I was convinced I could hear water in the wing, but thankfully it was dry apart from a few drips hear and there. So poured a watering can of water over and around the ariel to see if it leaked and a few drops came down the outside of the metal sheath tube inside the wing. Its hardly going to create a flood but just thought with winter coming...

And no not bothered about an electric as you can count on one hand the amount of times I use the radio in a year, cds 99% of the time B) However this chap http://www.celica-cl.../39535-beaty19/ is looking for a new ariel. See his 'My SR' thread in the Gen 6 section.

Edited by Black Knight

my advice then fill in the ariel and do away with it :thumbs:

I admit thats an option that had crossed my mind and may well be looked into when enough spare money is present to get it done proporley as I'm guessing it will need a respray of that panel to hide the plug/plate/weld.

I admit thats an option that had crossed my mind and may well be looked into when enough spare money is present to get it done proporley as I'm guessing it will need a respray of that panel to hide the plug/plate/weld.

mines was filler and fibreglass and is flush on the gtiii. you would need some spray work so probably best to save it untill your looking to paint the car

you could just take the top part off fill it with silicone sealant then reseat it just make sure thers enough sealant in there to just squeeze out the side to seal the hole then just wipe it clear dont this to an ariel i had on an old vauxhall

you could just take the top part off fill it with silicone sealant then reseat it just make sure thers enough sealant in there to just squeeze out the side to seal the hole then just wipe it clear dont this to an ariel i had on an old vauxhall

:thumbs: Carla's got the right idea,just make sure every thing is nice and dry and the silicone should seal it.

:thumbs: Carla's got the right idea,just make sure every thing is nice and dry and the silicone should seal it.

Hence the origional post question of anyone like to hazard a guess at how to take it off? :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

Fixed :xmas_biggrin:

1.Take one old rubber car mat with practically no texture to it from the back of the garage.

2.Cut out a circle of rubber from the corner where it is all smooth.

3.Drill a hole in the middle that is only just big enough to fit over the threaded part of the Ariel stem for a snug fit.

4.Pass that back up through the wing so that home made washer is now on the inside of the hole and bolt up good and tight with a spanner.

Job done. Cost £0 :thumbs:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.