need abit of help regarding an engine

hi all, not sure if this is in the right part, but mods move if it needs to :D

basically i have been offered a rev 2 3sgte engine out of an mr2 for £350 it has the loom and turbo with it, just wondering how much different it is to the rev 3 3sgte, what is the bhp on both? next question is, how easy would it be to fit into my 96gt ive been looking and found the rev3 has minimal stuff to do with the wiring if any to get running in my car, so my question is, will it fit, if it needs any wiring doing what would they be, and how easy would it to get it to 300bhp or there abouts :)

hope you can help, then i can tell my mate wether to keep if for me or not

cheers

Iain

My build thread.

http://www.celica-cl...__fromsearch__1

My advice?

If you're even asking "how easy is it to fit a rev2?", then you should go with a rev3 engine.

It's a lot less work, but more expensive with it.

It's closer to 300bhp out of the box (my rev2 will easily make the same sort of power, but it'll have to run higher boost) and the wiring is more or less plug & play.

Rev2's need re-wiring, among other things, they use AFM's instead of MAP sensors as well so they need adapting.

I have the experience to do things the hard way & reap the benefits of the cheaper engine.

If you want an engine swap in more or less kit form, go with rev3.

The last thing you want is to half do a swap then have to get someone to finish it for you or do the wiring.

If you do then you'll end up spending the same as a rev3 anyway.

Power wise, it depends what the engines are out of.

Rev2 can be ST185/RC/CS or SW20, Rev3 can be ST205 UK/Import or SW20.

If you get an import ST205 lump, you'll have 255bhp (once serviced & running as intended), a free-flowing exhaust, de-cat, decent air-filter, boost controller & front mount intercooler should get you up to the triple ton.

Or.......

Just stay tuned to my build thread, then copy it.

Depends how much of a rush you're in.

£350 ain't a bad price for a complete rev2 IF the turbo is good.

Compression test the engine if you can (see page 11 of my build thread for details).

Edited by Adex

yea the plan was to get the rev 3 as i heard it was easier, i dont mind doing abit of work, as i did an engine conversion on my last car but it would have to be done in 2/3 days :D so will have to get everything ready and make sure everything is right before i go ahead with it as it will be my daily driver when i do it, im only asking if its any different as i have just been offered one for £350 with loom and turbo so thought for that price, could see to make it work, it wouldnt be going in till next yr or yr after anyway till i get all the parts, i have a cat back at the mo on the gt and induction kit so could try and make them fit, was going for a front mount cooler and an omex ecu or something like that, the engine is out of a 92/93 MR2

how much would it cost to get it to about 300bhp? as i know it wouldnt take that much to get the st205 to that :)

will be doing my homework before anything happens anyway :D

aparently everything is spot on with it and the turbo is good :) im in no rush as it will take me abit of time to get the parts together :) then i can write a list on how to do it all :D

Wiring, MAP to AFM conversion, exhaust.

That's the main hard stuff.

How much it costs is up to how good your bargain hunting skills are.

Wouldn't bother with a different ECU as the std one will handle 300 gee gee's & you'll be on std injectors anyway.

Before you even start to think about power upgrades, I'd concentrate on getting a good solid engine put in, then upgrade over time.

Then you'll not be without your car at all, things will take longer than you plan for.

A swap with a time limit is a bad idea.

A GT clutch will be maxed out around 300 (and you'll blatantly be ragging the tits off it anyway!) so upgrading to a better one during the swap is advisable.

Don't forget brakes as well.

I'm about 80% sure a gt's fuel pump is the same as a gt4's, but for extra piece of mind upgrade that as well.

And a boost gauge.

was going to go all out on guages :D;p and ive read somewhere i will need a gt4 fuel pump :) if the standard ecu will work then thats better and cheaper :) and itll be going on the track so will have its tits ragged :D and tthetime limit is true, last conversion lasted 3months, and all that was plug and play haha, but was on a drive with no light or cover, and i planned to have it done in a week :D

That's not limited to swaps, that's cars in general!

As a very general rule, bigger injectors/turbo = new ecu.

Source yourself an LSD gearbox as well or rather than creating the track slag you envisage, you'll just have ended up with a very expensive smoke machine! :lol:

That's handy for the shopping run then!

You'll be needing all the '5p a litre off' Tesco's vouchers you can get!

Boost = An insatiable super-go-juice habit!

Just one of the facts of life! :D

Rev 3 has the following changes/upgrades (off the top of my head):

Metal head gasket instead of the paper one which blows above standard boost. (can fit a standard rev 3 HG to a rev 2 as an upgrade)

Re-designed head with TVIS removed, slightly smaller ports to compensate and cams to restore the top end. Manifolds are different and not inter-compatible (can't fit rev3 manifolds on rev 2 head, but you can fit a rev 3 head complete)

Re-designed oil pump & sump to put filter on bottom rather than next to hot downpipe.

Slightly different water flow setup. Needs some thought to be able to run rev3 head with rev 2 engine.

Bigger turbo to run higher boost to higher revs.

Bigger 540cc injectors (rev 2 are 440)

On GT4 the rev 3 has water intercooler, rev 2 has a rubbish top mount air-air unless you get the CS or RC version. If fitting to another car probably easiest to go front mount anyway.

Rev 3 ECU uses map sensor setup. Rev 2 uses AFM and fuel control is less accurate and tends to run very rich.

Wiring loom is completely different between rev 3 & rev 2. If fitting to a rev 3, use the rev 3 wiring loom. The rev 2 sensors are compatible but many have different plugs so you'll need to cut these from a rev 2 loom & splice in.

In a GT4, I think standard power outputs are rev 2 200BHP CS/RC rev 2 220BHP rev 3 250-270BHP. The main gains on rev 3 being turbo & higher boost plus better fueling.

I have already done this and the power figures quoted are a little false. I've had a aem fic fitted and mapped and get 270bhp (220 at the wheels). This removes the afm. The clutch cannot handle the torque the 3sgte puts out and slips. I have a helix clutch fitted that is a bit of a hybrid (3sgte flywheel + cover plate, 6 paddle helix 3sge plate). I custom made my engine loom from aircraft grade wiring. The fuel pump is ok but if you up the boost even 1psi it'll blow the engine, so put in a gt4 pump. A 255 would make things too rich. A front mount intercooler is a must!!! I have spent two years ironing out all the bugs so be patient do things right first time!!!

I have already done this and the power figures quoted are a little false. I've had a aem fic fitted and mapped and get 270bhp (220 at the wheels). This removes the afm. The clutch cannot handle the torque the 3sgte puts out and slips. I have a helix clutch fitted that is a bit of a hybrid (3sgte flywheel + cover plate, 6 paddle helix 3sge plate). I custom made my engine loom from aircraft grade wiring. The fuel pump is ok but if you up the boost even 1psi it'll blow the engine, so put in a gt4 pump. A 255 would make things too rich. A front mount intercooler is a must!!! I have spent two years ironing out all the bugs so be patient do things right first time!!!

I was saying that 300bhp is achievable with a rev3 though, and that you'll need more boost to get that with a rev2.

The clutch was mentioned too.

Respect for the custom loom though.

A 255 won't cause any hassles a fuel pressure regulator can't sort either.

Actually, that's probably one of the only times fitting one would be of some use.

Throw in a rev3 metal head gasket & you can go higher with the boost.

A rev2 block is arguable stronger than a later model, so after that it's a case of how much your pistons can take.

Mixer or goldspeed are probably good people to ask about that as they both run big power rev2's.

The power figures I quoted were the 'as standard' power figures.

Nothing fundamental mechanically why a rev 2 wouldn't push out as much power as a rev 3 given the same turbo, injectors & ecu. By the time you've carried out the upgrades required (metal HG, turbo, injectors) it will probably cost as much as the rev 3 anyway.

:nono: Tut Tut....

when he apeared back on ebay he had the green car advertised, knowing he had gone to ground and not knowing who this new trader was I casually contacted asking about the wings and doors..........no response I only clicked when i looked at the other listings :(

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.