CV Joint Removal

How the feck do you remove CV joints

I have seen a video on Youtube of a guy holding the driveshaft in a vice and tapping the CV joint off with a hammer

Now i have tried this on one of my driveshafts and it worked fine, the other however is another story, it won't budge no matter how hard i whack it

What am i doing wrong?????

HELP PLEASE :(

This one just will not knock off, i even brought out my small lump hammer with no luck

I could use the driveshafts off the donor car, but i know mine are in good nick as the inner CV's were done a couple of years back

Not sure on ur model, But on my gen 7 and as far as im aware most cars, I had to do mine saturday.. There is a little spring C-Clip inside it hitting it wount work... To much play as ur hitting it. I had to use a gear/pully puller to get mine off...

This one just will not knock off, i even brought out my small lump hammer with no luck

I could use the driveshafts off the donor car, but i know mine are in good nick as the inner CV's were done a couple of years back

Probably the clip jamming up,make sure you hold it tightly in the vice...then wack it...

As said above mate, They're held on by a snap ring in the end of the shaft and should knock off with a block of wood and a hammer but I've had one before that trapped the ring and was a bitch to get off and snapped the ring in the process

Well, it's managed to defeat everyone at work, even the maintenance fitter who can pretty much fix anything

So it looks like i will have to resort to plan B and use the unknown drive shaft out of the donor car

I'm pretty sure the reason is that the shaft has been assembled incorrectly.

The inner race of the CV usually looks identical on both sides but they're not.

On one side, the hole through which the driveshaft goes has a chamfered edge.

The shaft should be assembled so that the side with the chamfer is on the inside of the CV.

The chamfer is designed to help the snap ring to compress when removal is necessary.

In you find yourself in a situation like you describe, I'd put money on the CV having been assembled incorrectly.

As I'm sure you're aware from doing the other side, the snap ring is a pretty loose fit on the shaft.

Understanding this loose fit is the key to persuading the CV off.

You need to hold the shaft in a vice & try tapping the CV off again.

If you have no luck, you need to slacken the vice off a little & rotate the the entire shaft in the vice grips by 5/10 degrees.

Re-tighten the vice & try again.

If you have no luck, loosen the vice & rotate the shaft by a few degrees again.

What you're aiming to do is to get one end of the snap ring to hang into the groove to enable it to fully compress all the way round.

The snap ring in this (crap) diagram is slightly exaggerated, but you get the idea.

CVSnap-Ring.jpg

It's a bit like safe cracking! :)

Every difficult CV I've ever come across has been removed using this method.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.