Gen 6 leaking rainwater - help!

AlexH

So...I know it's been wetter than a very wet thing, but I got in my Celica (Gen 6 ST202 GT) this evening to come home, and as I pulled out of the parking space about half a litre of water pissed out of the control unit for the sun-roof/interior light. Looking inside, it was full of water which all poured out of the switches (tilt switch and slide switch), and was all inside the light cover. Also, the cloth headliner was soaked all around the plastic of the light/switch unit.

I've had a look, but I can't see anywhere that it would be leaking INTO this from - the sunroof was properly shut, before anyone asks! - so the only thing I can assume is that there was water leaking under the sunroof seals and into the motor/switches? But couldn't feel anywhere around the sunroof recess that was wet, so not sure?

The electrics all seem to be fine, and the sunroof opens and closes, light works, etc..but I'm worried that this isn't a one-off.

Any thoughts, guys? Or should I just buy some spare fuses and a snorkel???

A

Edited by AlexH

Had this happen to mine a few months back...

open the sunroof and look to see if the 4 drain holes are blocked (one in each corner)

or

remove headlining

4 clear hoses (1 in each corner)

take them off and make sure they are clear ( i blew high pressure air down mine )

put hoses and headlining back

worked for me

by the way, enlist help when putting headlining back, its a twat of a job..

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.