Hmm slightly impressive...

badj

I've always noticed I get better running out of the car using V-Power over BP (which I'm sure stands for Bull Piss based on its usefulness as fuel) and Tesco Momentum...

Anyway, my usual commute involves 8 miles or more of 30/40's and 20 miles or so of dual carriageway so 70ish (you get the jist, generally sensible but sometimes a little more adventurous but constant).

Considering I've got a new standard system to fit (cat + back) because its been showing P0420 and the back box broke and is temporarily held by a Dr pepper can and juby clip (which is suprisingly good in at sealing and it doesn't blow at the mo) I've been driving a little more careful and made 2 trips this week avoiding the dual carriage.

Anyway, I bought 14.20 litres of V Power when the last bar went. Wrote down the mileage. Last bar went on the way back from work just so pulled in and had to use momentum to top up.

Starting mileage on the trip meter - 283.0 miles

Mileage after the last bar went - 409.6 miles

I make that just over 40mpg? Considering the circumstances thats pretty good. I'm sure I normally get 32-35mpg driving the same using 95RON (maybe a little extra using momentum).

Don't want to rain on your parade but TBH I don't trust the fuel guage as far as I can throw it. I get around 80miles out of the first bar and some others I only get 15 miles and it can often vary. Most people say the same - judging fuel efficiency by using single bars just isn't possible. Only way to be sure afaik is A) brim the tank from empty with one fuel, B) reset your car's fuel management system so it takes advantage of the new fuel. Run the tank dry and do the calculation. I've only managed about 8 comparative runs but I'm finding I get 400miles from a tank of Tesco Momentum or V-Power, 350-375 using standard stuff depending where I fill up. Either way, the high octane stuff costs around 5% more but sesms to dish out between 6% and 14% more miles.

mine is quite consistent to be honest, from momentum using the same theory I've always had less mpg and BP is worse again. I think its the only car I've noticed where 98/99 RON actually improves efficiency

Yeah don't rely on the fuel bar- you have to brim till you see the fuel then drive, brim again. BUT what you should do is:

Empty your tank then fill up 15litres or so with the new fuel and reset your ecu So it learns the the fuel. Then once empty, fill up again with the same fuel to the brim so you have a visual indicator. DON'T reset your ecu now because the car already knows the fuel.reset the odometer and Run as many miles as you want-I.e if you want to find out your mpg to work fill up, drive to work and fill up again until you see the fuel. That will tell you how many litres you have used to drive to work.

After you reset the ecu, the car is sluggish always since its learning so don't reset the ecu on the run you are using to measure mpg.

I found 95 Ron gave low mileage and low power

Momentum gave high power and low mileage

V power gave high mileage and high power

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.