inconsistent oil dipstick readings

Mek

this is starting to frustrate me and given that i had a preface engine im now religiously checking my oil levels.

from cold, the oil dipstick reads as below the bottom dot of the dipstick when i pull it out yet when i wipe it i get a higher reading than that usually; i also find it hard to get a consistent layer of oil on the dipstick to give me something to work an accurate level from (broken in places, patchy with gaps). I also get different readings on the front and the back of the dipstick so im genuinely not sure how much oil is in the car and how to get the best most accurate reading of the oil

any tips for getting a proper reading, and should i be worried about the level of oil on cold being as low as that?

Edited by Mek

To be honest the oil should be nearer if not on the full mark when cold...as for getting a better reading it is all about learning the dipstick haha so try a slower pull, or leave it in for a longer time always wipe it and then check the level, hope this helps a little :thumbs:

When the engine is cold all the oil is in the sump. That is what you are measuring. The level should be at the top mark. If yours is below the bottom mark you are woefully low.

when I say its below the bottom.dot, its when I first go out to the car on a morning and first pull out the dipstick before wiping it away to get a reading. This is a facelift engine so it shouldn't be burning oil, but then the level is starting to concern me :/

When the engine is cold all the oil is in the sump. That is what you are measuring. The level should be at the top mark. If yours is below the bottom mark you are woefully low.

Ditto, also are you wipeing your dip stick with a cloth thats been used for polishing or waxing, that will give you broken/patchy reading, use clean kitchen paper, see if it makes any difference. hth.

when I say its below the bottom.dot, its when I first go out to the car on a morning and first pull out the dipstick before wiping it away to get a reading. This is a facelift engine so it shouldn't be burning oil, but then the level is starting to concern me :/

My method to check the level is pull out the dipstick, clean with paper, put back in, pull out and twist at the same time. You may notice when you put it in that there is some resistance but turn 180 degrees and there is less, this is better and will lead to less smeering. (no laughing by other members please. This is not a sex education site).

How many miles have you covered from when it was serviced? If you have gone from full to where you are now you should be concerned. The morning is the best time to check as all the oil will have drained though the engine overnight. I have done about 6 k since my last oil change and I am still full.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.