CV joint replacement

The drivers side drive shaft outer CV joint on my gen 6 1.8 SR has a cracked ABS ring, I noticed this when changing the clutch and explains the reasons my ABS cuts in at about 15mph. Looks like I'll have to change the whole CV joint to rectify the problem. Now although I know how to remove the drive shaft, I don't know how to replace the CV joint, so, the question is, can the joint be replaced without taking the driveshaft off the car, ie just removing the driveshaft from the hub, can any of you kind gents or ladies give me a run down on how to replace the joint either in situ or removed from the car. I know it would be easier to replace the whole driveshaft, but as this is a learning curve I would prefer to just change the joint. Many thanks for your help :)

if its the same as the 2.0l, the cv joint can be tapped of the shaft.

its a splined end, and on mine it was stuck fast and i ended up damaging the end of the axle.

but the other side just popped off.

so with a bit of luck yours might pop of ok.

but i would sugest taking the shaft of as you will need room to tap all around.

it does have a ring holding it inside the joint too.

BUT i will sugest if the cv joint is ok, just replace the ABS ring.

it should just pop off if teased all around.

im not a machanic, this is just from what ive done in the past.

so get other opinions too.

good luck

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.