Battery charging help needed

Hi

Im trying to charge my gen7 battery, its a toyota one and on it it says its 12v 65Ah.

The charger my mate lent me says it has an output of 3.5Adc (5Arms) and that the charger is reccomended for use on batteries up to 40Ah

So my battery has a higher capacity than reccomended, but i charge airsoft batteries against reccomendations all the time and they work fine so im hoping this charger is fit for purpose (even tho it may take ages)

but i dont know the formula required to figure out how long i need to charge it for so someone please help me!

I have just plugged it in (19:30) and im hoping it will be done at around getting up time of 07:30 :)

thanks

As I found out yesterday, Club Toyota is well worth the cost for little issues like this. Sat on the gym car park last night with the electrics on while I made a quick phone call, regretted it 10 minutes later when the car wouldn't start :brickwall: Club Toyota to the rescue haha

Simple amps x hours = AH. so 3.5A for 18.5H will charge a 65AH battery from empty. An approximation but near enough. A few hours should be enough to get the car started, then the alternator will do the rest at a much faster rate.

Note that running car batteries flat shortens their life, especially going completely flat. If the battery is fairly old it's likely to finish it off.

turns out after all night chargin it didnt have any juice in it at all, not even enough to light up the dash :(

just incase the charger was no good, i decided to use jumper cables and connect it to my battery and leave it for half hour, i then started the car (first time in a year and it started perfectly straight away!) i then disconnected the cables and left it running for 90mins to see if it build up any charge. I turned it off, went for a walk with my wife and son and came back an hour later and tried to start it.... bingo bango, bobs ya uncle, Bada-bing Bada-boom, winner winner chicken dinner!

So the battery is not completely dead which is good, tomorrow im gonna put that battery into my car and go for a drive. A few questions about the altinator charging it up:

-will higher revs charge it faster?

-how many miles/for how long do ya recon i need to drive to give it a good charge

(so much for my mates charger!!)

Batty will or should charge from tickover, higher revs does not mean higher volts. As for a full fill up of V's and A's, no idea, just go for a nice run and all should be ok. If you put the batt on your car and it starts in the morning all is looking good. If batt is fooked the charge will bugger off overnight and you wont be able to start your car with it, so be prepared for the worst.

its morning and it started! woohoo! :) so im gonna put the old batt in my tsport and go to the shops, i need something for dinner anyway so its killing two birds with one stone (did you know chuck norris can kill two stones with one bird?!)

that shud be about 30 mins driving as evouk suggested.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.