tips for cleaning engine parts

ok, my engine is completely in peices! head gasket is being replaced!

i thought i would use this opportunity to make my engine bits look a bit cleaner, very oily and grimey.

i brought one peice home with me to experiment with, i had previously bought some GUNK and a domestic steam cleaner for the job. however, i am finding it quite ineffective.

anyone got any tips, or is there no substitute for a bit of elbow grease and lots of time?

thanx. simon.

thinners or fairy liquid, if its all in bits get it sand blasted and then painted.another good one is soda crystals with water make it really pasty and it works well or chuck it in the dish washer works really good and upsets the wife/girlfriend/mum depending who and how you live.

washing powder ( as in daz ) mixed with a little water to make a paste , then using a brush watch the crap disappear

diesel in a tub with a paint brush , batter the crap with it then wash down with washing up liquid in water

once everything is nice and clean spray with a cheap silver paint ( pound shop ) and give a slap of laquar

then turn up at shows and open your bonnet with pride

I'll 2nd the dishwasher approach. Get the most crap of with degreaser or whatever you can and then when it looks clean stick it the dishwasher on it's own (NOT with dishes) or with other engine parts. During my speedway racing days all my sprockets and even the chain went in after each meeting and I never got moaned at once - because she was at work when I did it :rolleyes: . Stealth is the best method, what they don't know etc etc. During engine rebuilds the components got the same treatment.

The only time I got caught was when I was washing my wheels (with tyres) in the bath and she came home from work early, the fact I was using the bath was OK (ish) and I sort of got away with it with a slight nagging, the fact I was using her best shampoo to do it with with was my downfall. :blink:

Edited by Slugster

its not that bad to buy now no where near as expensive as it use to be and use it in conjunction with a paint brush it cleans really well but will need to wash off what ever you clean after with washing up liquid or something similar before painting

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.