car tax and insurance

simonwref

Hopefully buying a new car tomorrow, however it has no tax, it ran out at end of january.

given the fact that i will sort out insurance on it tomorrow, how much grace will i get for the tax, cos obviously cant tax it without the insurance docs.

if i got stopped tomorrow on the way home, would i get a ticket?

doubt i could do it online cos insurance database can take 7 days to get updated i beleive?

can i use emailed insurance doc to tax?

thanx in advance, simon.

You should be able to print your emailed certificate and use that to tax it, mate. Has the seller still got the reminder for the tax being due or not?

this, and the green slip is what I used before but I dont know if it depends on the post office.

One day insurance policie's don't cover it though I think I've read that before.

this, and the green slip is what I used before but I dont know if it depends on the post office.

One day insurance policie's don't cover it though I think I've read that before.

In my experience the Post Office must see the original and not a copy or e-mail print out, sorry to disappoint :(

Insurance companies don't normally e-mail through the certificate :(

In my experience the Post Office must see the original and not a copy or e-mail print out, sorry to disappoint :(

Insurance companies don't normally e-mail through the certificate :(

1st Central do they email everything but my new insurer didn't so guess it depends. but thats what I mean, I think each post office is different. If I remember rightly it was just a confirmation email but showed as being insured on the computer so he said was ok :shrug:

this is going back to my first car though which was a fair while ago may be different now

Admiral (which includes elephant,bell and diamond) will send you a 14 day temporary covernote via email as soon as you have paid for your insurance. its then just a case of showing this at a post office (they accept this now) along with green slip from v5.

You can tax online via DVLA website, but this can take up to 1 week to register on there system.

I wouldnt drive it without tax as if stopped, the police will fine you along with points which will only increase your premium alot on renewal and will sometimes stop certain companies insuring you at all in the future due to certain types of conviction/points they wouldn't cover e.g (IN10).

Admiral (which includes elephant,bell and diamond) will send you a 14 day temporary covernote via email as soon as you have paid for your insurance. its then just a case of showing this at a post office (they accept this now) along with green slip from v5.

thanks for this I was starting to wonder if I was making it up lol I knew I had used an email before and it was fine!

From http://www.direct.go...hicle/DG_069671

Insurance certificates and cover notes

These are usually a printed or laser-printed document, or a plastic credit card style document.

Insurance certificates downloaded directly from the internet by the policy holder are acceptable from 30 April 2010 (this applies to GB only). Fax copies are also acceptable.

The following documents aren't acceptable:

• policy schedule
  • renewal notice
  • receipt for payment
  • amended certificate or cover note - unless stamped or initialled by the insurer
  • ‘legal protection’ policy certificates
  • foreign certificates
  • photocopies
  • Green Card (International Motor Insurance Card)

New Keeper Supplement (the green bit) will be fine to tax it at the post office with too. To the letter of the law, you shouldn't really drive the car to the post office whilst its SORN'ed or untaxed, afaik the only place you can drive it with no tax is to the MOT station. So apparently you should either sort the tax out online before, or when, you buy the car, or walk to the post office to tax it!

I wouldnt drive it without tax as if stopped, the police will fine you along with points which will only increase your premium alot on renewal and will sometimes stop certain companies insuring you at all in the future due to certain types of conviction/points they wouldn't cover e.g (IN10).

Not that I would want to encourage anyone but its not an offence punishable by points at all, just a fine. The penalty is dependant on circumstances:

Driving Without Road Tax:

Fine up to £1,000 or 5 times the annual road tax fee, whichever is the greater amount. You may also be liable to pay back duty.

Causing or Permitting Someone to Drive Without Road Tax:

Fine to a maximum of £1,000 unless the vehicle can carry more than 8 passengers, when the fine rises to a maximum of £2,500.

Failure to Display Road Tax:

Fine up to £200.

Using a Vehicle When Declared SORN:

Fine up to £2,500

Using a Vehicle when Liable to Pay Road Tax at a Higher Rate:

Fine up to £1,000 or 5 times the difference between the tax rates calculated at the annual rate. You may also be liable to pay back duty.

Heres a list of all the offence codes for anyone interested:

http://www.licencecheck.co.uk/offense_codes

Edited by badj

I taxed mine 5 mins after i bought it, then went back to collect the car with the tax disc in my hand.

I used an emailed document that i had just printed off and the little green slip off the log book.

As far as i'm aware, if the old bill wanna be awkward they can seize your car if your driving without tax.

As far as i'm aware, if the old bill wanna be awkward they can seize your car if your driving without tax.

Only if the DVLA have passed the power over to the Police in that area, otherwise it will be the local authority. Beyond this, if neither is the case, it is a right reserved only for the DVLA.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.