Engine bay cleaning and alloy tar removal.

Thought id turn to my fellow petrol heads and celica enthusiasts alike. Earlier this week cleaned my chilli red t sport and then gave her a wax aswell. Then today cleaned the car and had already decided i wanted to clean the inside of the alloys and wheel arches. They were absolutely filthy and has left this gunk on the road which I still need to get off although does look clean now. Ive got a couple of questions really, Ive got a lot of tar on my alloys on the face of them. But then on the inside of the alloys ive got a lot of dirt and grit. It hasnt really come off very well after being power washed at close range and also autoglym clean wheels. Just wondered if anyone knew of anything to clean them up a bit better?

Also my third question is with regards to the engine bay. Have decided after topping her up with oil today that I need to clean inside there aswell as it clearly hasnt been done within the 8 years its been around. Ive got a little bit of money soon so will be investing in some more cloths and cleaning stuff etc etc specifically for the engine bay. So just wondering really what people use for this job.

Cheers

Alex

Re. the wheels, I'd use a clay bar to remove the tar mate. Best to take the wheels off as well, you can clean them up properly then without breaking your back.

Engine bay, try autoglym engine degreaser.

Gunk engine spray, but cover over fuse boards with plastic bags along with air box don't run engine whilst doing it, but warm it up before you spray as it makes it easy to pull off the grease. Then wash away careful with pressure wash then leave to sit for half hour before starting up again. Takes all dirt off in a flash.

Once you have wiped down spray with auto glm vinyl and rubber and go for a drive. Looks so shiny after.

Autosmart G101

Cheap and very effective. Can be diluted with water and will last you ages and ages.

Perfect for wheels, arches, engine bays etc.. etc.. etc...

To remove the tar a dedicated tar remover is easiest - Speak to Hou on here, i'm sure he'll sort something out for you. Autobrite do a very good one which im sure he sells. There is also Autosmart Tardis which is decent.

Alternatively, if you have any white spirit, dab that onto a cloth and rub the tar, just make sure you test it on an area of your wheels to make sure it won't stain/cause problems then give it a VERY good rinse afterwards.

Edited by Sawyer

Thanks for the advice guys, decided to go for Autoglym used them for a couple of years now both on my fiat grande punto and of course my current celica t sport :) Will post up pics tomorrow as provided weather wise it goes ok will be doing it then

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.