HID's in france

RoryK

Hopefully with the nurbergring trip comming up next year I have been doing abit of research on driving laws in various countries but cannot find anything on HID's (I am at work also so some of the sites are blocked)

I know in this country the HID laws right now are ropey, and none us truely know if we will get busted or fail MOT's for them, however, how do the French react to these ? I really dont want to have to remove them unless I have too, I love my HID's soo much!

AA has some info, but pretty much only says the requirement is not to 'dazzle oncoming traffic' - so as long as the beam pattern is Ok (in terms of HIDs, that depends on the headlight) and you've fitted beam benders you should be fine.

In terms of whether the car is legal to French requirements (do they have an MOT over there?) I would think that doesn't apply as you're only visiting and only taking the car for a short period, not permanently bringing the car over; its still UK registered and legal. Much like all the foreign cars we see on UK roads.

[edit] One other point to note in France is its a legal requirement for lamps to be in good working order at all times - this means if a bulb goes, you have to pull over and fix it. So its wise to carry a spare bulb pack.

Edited by Razorjack

Just browsed a few forums here (in France). HIDs are not legally approved and in theory you could get a police fine. However there are many postings about having HIDs and having had no problems ............ There is advice to change them before MOTs (Controle Technique, here - very strict but only every two years)

Having said that, French motor police are not very sympathetic to foreign plated cars and are very happy to do on the spot fines for speeding offences ...

Or, hopefully we can just drive through France in the daytime! Been worrying about it this whole time and then realised its the first part of the trip lol.

Edited by RoryK

Because gen 7's have projector headlights it's very unlikely that anyone that isn't interested in cars, or even Celicas will know that HID's are not standard (providing 4300K to 600K is used).

I would keep them on and change the headlight level accordingly.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.