Engine build advice

CW Racing

As topic. Going to start my 3sge rev3 rebuild

Plan to work the head heavily and skim and raise the compression

Any one know what's safe to run in that area.

Tools required?

Things I might find tricky?

Any components I should change as a matter of course?

Places to buy parts? Over size pistons etc and costs.

Any pictures of the inside if the engine would be of help.

Cheers.

Edited by CW Racing

One thing you may well need to make is a bottom pulley brace, something like this

DSC00510.JPG

And here is a link to my engine build album, i know it's for a Rev 2, but you might find something useful

https://picasaweb.go...CKDmp5jAwaXIYQ#

As for tool, only thing specific really would be a piston ring compressor and a bearing/pulley puller, oh and a piston bore hone

Red Plastigauge is pretty essential too, but pretty cheap

I replaced all my bearing as most were towards the top end of their tolerance, and i got them all from Mr T, not too expensive either, around £80-£100 per set for the bottom end and big end, luckily i got a new set of piston off Dorris on here, so i don't know what they cost new

Not too sure about compression as the Rev 3 is higher compression than the Rev 2, so i had mine skimmed to Rev 3 levels of compression

Things you might find tricky, bottom pulley can be tricky to get off without that tool, and my other biggest headache was getting the timing belt on

I'll add more when i thing of it

Oh yeah, and the best piece of advice, take photos of everything, especially before you take stuff apart

there is little you will get out of the head i think. a general port match and deburr is as good as it gets. from what i have seen of the head design so far they have got it as close to perfect as you can with in the limits the casting gives.

if the head/engine is good then all you need to do is look at thinner head gaskets. if the rev 3 is the same the standard gasket is 1.2mm and you can get 1mm, 0.8mm and 0.6mm gaskets. this should be enough to change the compresion with in useable limits.

standard tools need really. i havent used any thing special as of yet and i only have the sump and crank left to take out.

components to change. water pump, oil pump, cam belt, tensioner and idler, get an engine gasket kit and that will give you all the seals and gaskets you need to change.

pistons should be ok so shouldnt need changing. fensport should be a good place to start for parts and you will get discount as your doing the TSS. if not the good old fleabay for parts.

apart from that its all straigtht forward. rev2 and rev3 are very similar so RP's or my threads should help out.

oh and try and get hold of one of these but for the rev3 3sge http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-Carina-Celica-Camry-Engine-Repair-Manual-/190591090092?pt=UK_CarParts_Vehicles_Manuals_Litterature_ET&hash=item2c601d3dac they come up for sale every now and then and have every thing you will ever need in there. its just nice having a hard copy you can just flick through in the workshop.

andy

there is little you will get out of the head i think. a general port match and deburr is as good as it gets. from what i have seen of the head design so far they have got it as close to perfect as you can with in the limits the casting gives.

if the head/engine is good then all you need to do is look at thinner head gaskets. if the rev 3 is the same the standard gasket is 1.2mm and you can get 1mm, 0.8mm and 0.6mm gaskets. this should be enough to change the compresion with in useable limits.

standard tools need really. i havent used any thing special as of yet and i only have the sump and crank left to take out.

components to change. water pump, oil pump, cam belt, tensioner and idler, get an engine gasket kit and that will give you all the seals and gaskets you need to change.

pistons should be ok so shouldnt need changing. fensport should be a good place to start for parts and you will get discount as your doing the TSS. if not the good old fleabay for parts.

apart from that its all straigtht forward. rev2 and rev3 are very similar so RP's or my threads should help out.

oh and try and get hold of one of these but for the rev3 3sge http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-Carina-Celica-Camry-Engine-Repair-Manual-/190591090092?pt=UK_CarParts_Vehicles_Manuals_Litterature_ET&hash=item2c601d3dac they come up for sale every now and then and have every thing you will ever need in there. its just nice having a hard copy you can just flick through in the workshop.

andy

yeah i have the repair manual in PDF ready and waiting.

as for the head work, are you speaking from experience or just from theory... a guy i know from fensport had his done... gt4 steel head gasket. good exhaust and yeilded 200bhp.

its hard to judge fact from fiction sometimes

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.