to keep or not to keep

Paul is one of the nicest and most helpful blokes I have ever had the pleasure of dealing with.

Met him for the first time at jae this year.

Even though I was not using him to do my conversion he was always willing to give any and all advice whenever I asked.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rich, personally i think you should keep her, even IF you were to buy a GT4 which in present situation re' loans etc, i would not encourage. You won't get what she's worth if you sell her and I still miss that car - it was totally bombproof and made long cruises a pleasure. Don't get me wrong, i don't regret getting a GT4 even with the engine going pop but the problem is (being the cautious chap you are), you're bound to be on edge unless you have a back-up car AND back-up funds.

My car came in from Japan and was promptly dropped off at TR&D with a blank cheque... £2000 later it came out with all the usual bits like SS renewal (all of it, inc' shocks and TRD springs), clutch, Fidanza fly, Blitz Nur Spec R, Blitz SUS, etc etc, all quality workmanship but - it STILL went bang. Sorted now and it's been solid, unfaltering driving for the last year :) love it! Never, ever get tired of the power B)

So speaking of power, I really think a heart transplant could be your answer. A V6 sounds mint, especially if you get it SC'd or TC'd, that'd be mental B) I think someone also mentioned the Lexus Soarer small block 4.0 V8 too, that's what I'd be particularly interested in if i were in your position (after loans are gone!) assuming Woodsport or whoever could sort you out. However, if you found yourself fretting about it being too untested then sure, the V6 would be ideal B)

PS check out the Club Chat section mate, I'll be off around Silverstone in an LFA next week!!!! I'll not be able to drive my faff ever again after that! :lol:

Rich, personally i think you should keep her, even IF you were to buy a GT4 which in present situation re' loans etc, i would not encourage. You won't get what she's worth if you sell her and I still miss that car - it was totally bombproof and made long cruises a pleasure. Don't get me wrong, i don't regret getting a GT4 even with the engine going pop but the problem is (being the cautious chap you are), you're bound to be on edge unless you have a back-up car AND back-up funds.

My car came in from Japan and was promptly dropped off at TR&D with a blank cheque... £2000 later it came out with all the usual bits like SS renewal (all of it, inc' shocks and TRD springs), clutch, Fidanza fly, Blitz Nur Spec R, Blitz SUS, etc etc, all quality workmanship but - it STILL went bang. Sorted now and it's been solid, unfaltering driving for the last year :) love it! Never, ever get tired of the power B)

So speaking of power, I really think a heart transplant could be your answer. A V6 sounds mint, especially if you get it SC'd or TC'd, that'd be mental B) I think someone also mentioned the Lexus Soarer small block 4.0 V8 too, that's what I'd be particularly interested in if i were in your position (after loans are gone!) assuming Woodsport or whoever could sort you out. However, if you found yourself fretting about it being too untested then sure, the V6 would be ideal B)

PS check out the Club Chat section mate, I'll be off around Silverstone in an LFA next week!!!! I'll not be able to drive my faff ever again after that! :lol:

ha ha i saw on your facebook about it mate LFA you lucky bastard!!! you wont wanna get out of it,see if they part ex the faff for it,nice one tho im seroiusly jelious! As for my car its funny a couple of times i have thought about selling it last few months but just cant seem to do it,had it nearly 3 years now (time flys) and still remember the drive home from yours like it was yestoday and the big smile i had on way home,ever since been alot places in the car and had alot memorys..guess makes it hard when its been faultless even in harsh weather we have had last couple winters and always got me home,my ex girlfreind (who you met that night) lived in essex and i used to drive up and down 3 times a week (hour each way) for 2 years and never let me down,that car is just amazing to sum it up...your right in everything you say,i am a bit cautious when it comes to money and stuff now because of the mistakes i have made in the past and how it messed up my life,but i have learnt alot from that and found out the hard way that sometimes you cant always have what you want,if i had done things diffrent back then i would prob be in a turbo car right now,but hey everyone makes mistakes i guess! i will keep her and continue the work and enjoy the car some more,and maybe one day ill get my turbo motor :) but thanks for your advise,good to hear from you :)

As with others i think you should keep her as its a nice car

Ive already said that if it was me id V6 it - lots of 3sgte cars out there but not many V6 celicas

you never get anything back from modding cars - my build is at over £65K !!! - but dont skint yourself with loans mate if possible

As with others i think you should keep her as its a nice car

Ive already said that if it was me id V6 it - lots of 3sgte cars out there but not many V6 celicas

you never get anything back from modding cars - my build is at over £65K !!! - but dont skint yourself with loans mate if possible

yer i do fancy the idea of a v6 lump,but maybe i should wait till i paid of this loan in 12 months time,and in mean time maybe make the few mods that im gonna need to do it.

A loan for a car is a fools game. It's a massive lose lose situation in every respect. Save up for a GT4...can get 'em for not that much these days. £4k ain't a lot for that kinda power is it!

loans are alrite if you can afford the repayments and your earning the money,in my case would have taken me years to save up for car and i just couldnt wait to be honest,live for today as i say.

i woudl stay away from loans, 3 years ago i was broke and had a celica that kept takign a wee everytime i parked it, I had to get a £400 loan to replace my fuel tank and took me 2 years to pay it off and cost me closer to £700 by the time it was done

i best get saving then lol other option is my loan finshes in dec next year so even if i get to about june next year i can sell mine (if i was going to) pay off the loan early with money from car,and get new one out for gt4,thats just another option i thought off.

i best get saving then lol other option is my loan finshes in dec next year so even if i get to about june next year i can sell mine (if i was going to) pay off the loan early with money from car,and get new one out for gt4,thats just another option i thought off.

sounds like your just tying yourseld to a loan for another 4 years say, £4000 loan for GT4, over 4 years you will pay close to £8k back

something to think about, save up a few £k and find an old camry soemwher and give woodsport a we email :thumbs:

It's the depreciation of the car versus the increased amount you pay back on the loan that worries me mate. For a brand new car you're gonna have no issues with, it makes sense...if you're gonna get a loan you might as well get finance on a newer car in my opinion. Focus RS for a laugh maybe?!

It's the depreciation of the car versus the increased amount you pay back on the loan that worries me mate. For a brand new car you're gonna have no issues with, it makes sense...if you're gonna get a loan you might as well get finance on a newer car in my opinion. Focus RS for a laugh maybe?!

thats why i was gonna go for a dc5 because they are newer and honda are pretty good and im sure id prob have no issues they,yer would be over 4 years but it would last cos its honda,but on otherside i could go for gen 7 gt less money,but a bit less hardcore in my eyes,but i wanna stick with celicas and stay in the club to be honest

thats why i was gonna go for a dc5 because they are newer and honda are pretty good and im sure id prob have no issues they,yer would be over 4 years but it would last cos its honda,but on otherside i could go for gen 7 gt less money,but a bit less hardcore in my eyes,but i wanna stick with celicas and stay in the club to be honest

I have always loved the dc2's and dc5's but they are never worth the money people ask for them

there is a beams ssiii for sale on here just now which is a far better car than a dc5

gen 7 just dont feel as nice inside as the gen 6 but the gen 7 vvtli is meant to be a good fun car to drive

from what i have read on the net the dc5 is meant to be one of the best FWD cars of all time,if not the best,beams is nice if you can get a good one,but not much diffrent from what i got now really,i dont like many new cars thats the problem,most are shit...i only like the gen 7 gt,dc5,and maybe a s15 or gtr which is never gonna happen just yet,as i say my mate keeps saying subaru but id rather eat my own shit lol

from what i have read on the net the dc5 is meant to be one of the best FWD cars of all time,if not the best,beams is nice if you can get a good one,but not much diffrent from what i got now really,i dont like many new cars thats the problem,most are shit...i only like the gen 7 gt,dc5,and maybe a s15 or gtr which is never gonna happen just yet,as i say my mate keeps saying subaru but id rather eat my own shit lol

people always say that about the integra, funny enough people harp on about the ford puma being one of the great fwd cars fo all time pfft. nearly got into a fight with a guy cause he couldn't understand that his puma no matter what is simply a fiesta in a nice frock

zuban posted a video ages ago think it was a race comparison between the integra the beams and a bunch of others, the integra was in front obviously but the much heavier beams was right behind it which i thought was a fair effort

Can't believe this thread is still alive!! lol

From what I've read it's an easy choice, and i came to the conclusion as follows:

Can you afford a GT4?

No as you'd have to get a loan

Can you afford to V6 your current car? (ignoring the fact it would be similar in cost to a GT4 and not as good performance wise)

No as you'd have to get a loan

Is your car's value as a whole enough to buy a GT4?

No

Is your car in parts worth enough to buy a GT4?

Not a good one, so no (plus by the sounds of things its too nice to break and/or too much hassle to put back to standard)

Conclusion? Finish paying your current loan, stop being an idiot and talking about more debt, instead, enjoy driving the car you have and once the loan has finished, put the money you were paying each month into your savings till you have enough to buy a GT4 or whatever car it is you want by then.

Simples.

the thing is,the cars done 172k the clutch needs doing really and prob a few other little bits,your looking at a year to pay it off,then another year to save,so 2 years by then the car would prob have done over 200k if its still running ok,and will prob need money spending on it in the next two years.

does it make sence to spend out on a car thats done mega miles,or make more sence to spend the money re paying on a newer car thats gonna last longer and have less to pay out on,and done alot less miles.

the thing is,the cars done 172k the clutch needs doing really and prob a few other little bits,your looking at a year to pay it off,then another year to save,so 2 years by then the car would prob have done over 200k if its still running ok,and will prob need money spending on it in the next two years.

does it make sence to spend out on a car thats done mega miles,or make more sence to spend the money re paying on a newer car thats gonna last longer and have less to pay out on,and done alot less miles.

Once you have a gt4,you will be spending out on it.. doubt you will get one that needs nothing,don't call them a faff for nothing ..

This whole thread to me just reads like you're trying to convince yourself to get a loan and buy another car and you're just looking for people to say yeah go do it.

Personally, I think a GT4 is out of your financial reach in both terms of purchase and running costs, one major problem and you'd be without a car which I don't think is a situation you can cope with that well.

Honestly, your best bet is save up and hope this car lasts till you got enough for another one.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.