Dealing with rust?

nerox

Hey,

I've started to get a fair bit of rust on one of my arches. The guy who had it before me used some underseal but I don't know how well that'll deal with it.

Is there any known DIY jobs you can do to remove and prevent rust?

Cheers :)

The only real solution is to get it cut out or if its surface rust then grind back to clean metal, or if you visit www.frost.co.uk they have a few chemicals that claim to stop rust in its tracks but I doubt its long term effectiveness. I thought I could beat rust with chemicals and now a few years later the shell about to be replaced.

Edited by Insanity-74

Cheers for the advice :) As rust goes its not that bad. Considering its an N reg its manageable I guess. Think a car body place is a viable option? Or try and cut it out and filler it myself?

Depends on how bad it is and that can be hard to find out until you get a wire brush on it. Provided you still have a good thickness of metal left you need a good rust neutralising paint. 18 years ago I bought a house with an incredibly badly rusted tank for the central heating oil. I thought it was useless but painted it with Hammerite and it is still in use today; guess what I use of the cars?

I guess with it being under the sill, some silver hammerite might work.

Thanks for the advice! :D

Hammerite will def help hold it back but you will prob find it keeps blistering through.

If you do take to a body shop then cut out the rust patch yourself, unless you know a real good one as many just plod and paint. will be back in a few years.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.