Peculiar Solvent 'Stain' on Headlight

The plastic front of one of my Gen7 headlights has a strange opaque area which I initially though might be dried cat piss, but it won't wash off in warm soapy water. Scratching it with a finger nail seems to do some good along a narrow line. It sort of looks like some kind of solvent has been spilled there. Not at all sure what happened by I think is will need some sort of polishing to get it clear.

Anyone have any ideas what best to do :unsure: ?

Edited by bazz54

Sounds like adhesive left after a sticker or something like has been removed. Try a rag soaked in a little petrol, that might do the job.

No Gen6; you can see that something was spilled, poured or "sprayed". Need a little caution; don't want to make any worse as bet they cost something silly.

Petrol will *not* damage your headlight - I've yet to find a automobile headlight which can be damaged by petrol, I've used it many times to remove headlight stickers for driving in Europe.

And it won't cost anything to try. If you can scratch it with your fingernail and get a clear line petrol might work.

A good way of polishing blemishes/stains out of both glass and plastic is to use a little Brasso or similar on a rag, watchmakers use it to polish out scratches on watch crystals - a watchmaker gave me this tip and I've used it on my watches with great success, too.

Think I have sorted it. I started by trying a drop of meths. When the stain was wet with meths, it was perfectly clear, but became opaque again as the meths dried, and the stain was not washed off. The only stuff I had in the garage in terms of a light polish was some household metal polish - known from previous jobs to be much milder than T-Cut, so I decided to try that on a tiny area. Worked brilliantly; pretty much sorted I think. Finished off with one of Autoglym's plastic care prods.

Gen6GT, wasn't saying petrol was a problem, just that it definitely was not sticker residues. Having watched 1000's of "Crime Scene CSI" episodes, I now have the degree equivalent in splatter patterns. Lets say a small egg hit the cover dead central and then spread out in all directions; you get the picture. Now lets suggest a cat peed on the lens and that splattered out in all directions; I rest my case. Suspect the heat from the headlight caused it to dry rock hard, or chemically react with the plastic. Bad pussy; retribution will follow! First time I'd realised those covers are plastic not glass. Thanks for the suggestions - mild polish did it.

As for superglue on a cover; acetone does superglue but suspect it will also do the cover. In your shoes, I'd try a 50/50 mix of water and meths soaked in to something very absorbent (ask wife/girlfriend/mother) and keep it fixed on there overnight, then see what the edge of credit card does.

Glad you got it sorted :) Metal polish is brilliant stuff for polishing out plastic, acrylic and glass, I treated myself to a Rolex watch back in the eighties when I was working out in Jeddah, wore it while I was scuba diving over a period of 5 years, so the face was really scratched. I took it into a little family-run watch repair shop in Oxford, as the local Rolex agency wanted £180.00 to replace the crystal and would need the watch for 6 weeks. The guy in the watch repair shop advised me to try Brasso, which I did, and which worked perfectly.

Which is why I thought it might sort out your problem :)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.