Traveling abroad

Hi guys

Just a quick question. What else do I need to know/have while traveling abroad in my Gen 6? Or what to check on the car, or if anyone had any issues with the car during a long trip?

So far I've got a first aid kit, fire extinguisher, emergency triangle, GB stickers, headlight beam converters, hi-vis vests. Is there anything else I missed?

I'll get a bottle of oil just in case as well. It is spot on so far and I've done about 2 thousand miles after service.

What else do I have to check on the car apart from the fluid levels and state of brake pads??

Thanks in advance for your help

Kamil

If you're travelling through France and if you wear spectacles you'll need a spare pair with you. You'll also need a set of headlamp bulbs, and you'll need to have your documents with you, that is your insurance certificate, your UK driving licence and your V5 Vehicle Registration Document.

Just out of interest, where are you going?

Bulbs isn't actually a legal requirement, I don't think - though you can be nicked if you have a bulb out on your car (which is why people carry spares).

Best advice - route through Luxembourg if you can. Petrol there is a lot cheaper than anywhere else. In France in particular, go to supermarkets for petrol. They're much cheaper. Germany is pretty expensive all over for fuel. The Netherlands is even worse.

As for the car, check your cooling system. Any signs of weakness in the radiator, change it our before you go. Check all the usual stuff - suspension components, driveshafts, condition of tyres. Much easier to fix before you go than try and haggle with some German garage!

Note that they drive on the wrong side of the road once you get off the ferry. :) You get used to it in about 5 minutes, once you've got past the first roundabout and figured out which way to go round it. Just follow what everyone else is doing.

It's a good idea to keep your headlights on when out of built-up areas - this is a legal requirement in some countries, and a good idea anyway.

Insurance - check your policy. Most Fully Comp ones will cover you in EU countries to a minimum standard (3rd Party) so you don't need to buy additional cover unless you want Fully Comp cover abroad. If you're only insured 3rd Party here, you may have to buy additional cover for the period abroad.

Some countries require purchase of a sticker for using their motorways (e.g. Austria, Switz, Hungary, Czech), but not Germany (where they have loads of roadworks) or Belgium. French toll roads ("Peage") are quite expensive, but you may manage to avoid all charges if heading to Poland.

Take a bit of a toolkit with you - spanners/sockets in the usual sizes, screwdrivers, pair of pliers and some cable ties and a roll of gaffa tape. These can prove invaluable!

Angus

Passport

Euros

plenty of CD's

if the wifes/gf going .... sleeping tablets....for her

if the wifes/gf not going ...plenty of condoms

if using TOMTOM....good luck...god knows were u will end up

Poslish phrase book.....I have one if u want ....no wait I need it for St Helens

3 pair of jeans....1 to wear 2 to sell

Enjoy the trip

Forget Satnav - get an AA Europe large format map book thing for cheap down the discount book shop.

It's easy to find your way in Europe as long as you know what the next big town/city is and you plan to stick to motorways. Signposting is generally excellent.

Angus

Passport

Euros

plenty of CD's

if the wifes/gf going .... sleeping tablets....for her

if the wifes/gf not going ...plenty of condoms

if using TOMTOM....good luck...god knows were u will end up

Poslish phrase book.....I have one if u want ....no wait I need it for St Helens

3 pair of jeans....1 to wear 2 to sell

Enjoy the trip

PMSL :lol:

Tyre weld, tyre pump. Could get you out of trouble but the tyre weld will bugger the tyre, but it'll get you to a garage, more than likely

European Health Insurance Card, might be worth applying for one, comes through pretty quick, do it online via direct gov.

fuel can and a torch (not the fire type!)

Good plan, Steven, though it's possibly an even better idea to change belts before you go, and take the old ones in the boot as spares just in case ...

I usually spend about a month thinking of everything that may need sorted on the car before we go to Europe - listening for clunks and rattles and so on. All worked nicely this year, apart from the dreaded 75/ZT CDT standard problem of running out of fuel even though you've got half a tank left. Happened to us right at Ferrybridge Services on the way down to Dover. :lol: Kept it no less than 3/8 full after that, and no further problems.

With the Celicas, the only problems we ever had were cooling ones ... duff fan relay causing overheats when not on the motorway for 3 days in my first 185, then a pinhole in the radiator in the middle of Budapest another time in a 182. Oh, and a dead keyfob battery in Budapest another time.

Angus

Edited by Angus

Thanks guys for the advice :) will have to get a few more bits before I go. Polish phrase book won't be necessary I think as I am Polish :) might need one for my gf tho she only knows a few words. That will be quite interesting as my parents don't speak English :) I hope the car should be ok as it's in a pretty good condition. Took my previous car (Avensis SR) for that trip with no problems at all :)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.