Coolant low...

A few years ago a new formulation of antifreezes came in to use specifically to protect aluminium engines, this is called 'organic acid technology' OAT, often referred to as long-life; think it checks out on Wiki. Problem is that every manufacturer had its own colour code system; Toyota did 2 variations one being pink and one red. Blue suggests that yours may have been filled with non-OAT stuff. I think it's generally thought best not to mix them, so may be best to top up with more standard antifreeze until you get around to a complete drain and refil with pink or red.

Or just get it from Toyota. Genuine long life coolant they call it I think.

Dont worry, my coolant has ALYWAS sat at low in the resevoir. Its an expansion bottle so if you top it up but its already happy it will just blow it out as the engine heats up. Just make sure your water temp gauge is always normal and your fan kicks and and out as normal (recent issue for me but sorted now).

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.