Cleaning a convertible hood

What's the best way of cleaning a convertible hood? Just plain soap and water, or is there something better?

The best way to clean your hood is with a bucket of hot water and plenty of

fairy non bio washing powder. You will need, may sound od but trust me on this, a

fish tank filter sponge to clean the hood with - if your not sure what i mean then look here

My link.

The sponge will not scratch or damage the hood it draws out the shit which works it wayup

the sponge - filters the shit just like it does in a fish tank.

Hose down the roof and apply the water/powder solution using the above sponge, you will need to leave the

hose pipe on the roof with a slow flow of water this helps wash away the shit instead of

soaking back into the fabric. When done give the hood a bloody good hose down to remove all bubbles,

switch on engine and leave vehicle running with heater set to hot on full blast to help dry

the roof out from the inside out - this speeds up the drying time and stops damp patches forming

which cause mould spots. When done pop over to halfords and buy some fabric hood sealer and apply asap

to prevent mould spots and fading.

I had to do mine as car was sat under a tree for a year and looked rather green now the roof is

black and looking good - whole job took me 7hours but i had to clean my hood twice (clean and dry)

I will try and find a before and after photo of my hood for you

I cant find the details at the moment but Frodo put me onto some good stuff for cleaning the hood.

I've been in equestrian trade for a long time and for cleaning all outdoor rugs and clothing including canvas we never used non bio, it was always non detergent

People would come in asking why their stuff was not waterproof anymore but they had been washing in non bio. The detergent in washing powder strips away the waterproofing. I have some nikwax techwash which is non detergent which i would rather use if i didnt have the proper stuff to hand

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.