Power window Switch

When i stripped the door cards out, i got left with the daft shaped window switch with no where to attach it. Saw there were only two wires going into the window motor and figured i'd get a 3 way switch and wire it in to the dash somewhere....

One wire for up and one wire for down... checked the leccy diagram to make sure ( made note that the window lock switch for the p/s side works by interrupting the earth) Power feed in the middle, up wire on one contact, down wire on the other....

Power to one wire, window goes up, power to other wire, window goes down right?

Only it doesn't.. after some head scratching i got the tester out and found that the up and down feeds to the motor are constantly live... both of them at the same time.... you press the button to make the window go down, and the down wire holds constant voltage while the up wire loses voltage... the window goes down... press the up button and the voltage drops on the down wire but stays constant on the up wire...

So how do i replicate this into a normal switch? or switches? i'm sure there is a really obvious way, but i can't get my head round it..

Any ideas?

Is it a switched earth like the horn? :unsure:

Have you tried checking the extra wire for continuity to the chassis?

EDIT...just had a look at the diagram I've got and according to that the switch should have 5 wires going to it :unsure:

Two wires from the drivers door switch which are grounded when closed, two to the motor both of which are normally grounded and one that is the live feed. The drivers door switch needs to be wired in for the system to work

Edited by princy

Aye, the electrical diagram says 5 wires to each switch ... look down the index ion the left of this page to find the appropriate diagram, with wire colours:

http://bgbonline.celicatech.com/90ewd/index.html

You're right - two wires to the motor, one for up and one for down (green/red by the look of it), but you have no earth at that point, so no circuit.

Can't quite get my head round the switch at this time of the morning, but you evidently need to get a live feed to the up/down wires, and have an earth to complete the circuit.

<thinks a bit> Here's my guess. You need a three way switch - with a neutral middle position, and an up/down option. Have the live wire crossing the outer terminals of your switch and going to the motor, with an earth in the middle position. So that when you switch one way or the other it completes the circuit in that direction. Is that right? Note that I'm not an electrician, so that could be a bag of shite! :unsure::lol:

Angus

I've got the leccy diagram, and tried the 3 way already... double pole double throw may be the winner andy, .... depending on the drawing lol

damn that was quick

So in theory, 2 3 way switches would do?

I'm not fussed bout the p/s side as there's no motor over there anymore, but if my mot rolls round before i can afford the plexiglass i'll need to be able to open the drivers side window...

yeah should be able to get away with 2 switches.

but one switch with a centre off possition would be easier (and less weight lol).

NO and NO just thinking about it i dont think you can get away with 2 switches.

Edited by cooperman

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.