Help

Hi All,

hope your all well.

So, my car sprung a fuel leak a while back after a long trip. Only noticed it after i had brimmed the tank and it started smelling of fuel.

So, with the tank being quite damp, i thought it'd picked up some damage somehow. After getting under half a tank the leak stopped, and after inspecting the tank down the garage we couldn't see any visible damage.

With thanks to Nix, i got hold of another tank and filler neck and got them fitted today. However i've just filled the car up and its dribbling petrol quite rapidly (there goes £70 of fuel)

Any ideas? I'm guessing some pipe work above the tank has given up and the garage did the work with blinkers on.

any pointers or suggestions welcome.

can't get back to the garage till thursday

thanks

yeah i had heard about the filler necks, hence why i replaced it with a younger one from Nix. Mine looked pretty cruddy.

Leak definately looks to be coming from the top side. it has now stopped, so maybe pressure related? (damaged feed pipe?)

We replaced the pump assembly with the one that came with Nix's tank

Hi All,

hope your all well.

So, my car sprung a fuel leak a while back after a long trip. Only noticed it after i had brimmed the tank and it started smelling of fuel.

So, with the tank being quite damp, i thought it'd picked up some damage somehow. After getting under half a tank the leak stopped, and after inspecting the tank down the garage we couldn't see any visible damage.

With thanks to Nix, i got hold of another tank and filler neck and got them fitted today. However i've just filled the car up and its dribbling petrol quite rapidly (there goes £70 of fuel)

Any ideas? I'm guessing some pipe work above the tank has given up and the garage did the work with blinkers on.

any pointers or suggestions welcome.

can't get back to the garage till thursday

thanks

Good advice from RPS. Only have knowledge of ST185 but I think the best bet after checking the iffy fuel neck is remove the tank and have a good look.

I couldn't figure a problem with the 185 when it had more than half a tank of fuel. Removal reveals all.

thanks for the replies so far.

Just been out to check now shes cold (asked them to change the thermostat so wanted to see the cold start difference) and its not leaking anymore.

Took it around the block a few times once warm to put pressure on it and still no leak. Will do a motor way run tomorrow to see what happens

Not sure if the Gen 5 setup is the same as the Gen 6, but I had to replace the sender/pipe assembly on mine as it had rotted away.

Mine only leaked when the engine was running as the pump was forcing fuel out of the pipework.

so confused lol :)

last time, before changing the tank etc, the car leaked slowly until under half a tank.

Checked her out this morning and the tank was looking pretty dry. So fired her up, let her warm, then shot off for a 100 mile round trip on the motor way (i did give it some welly here and there to stress the car and put pressure on the system)

Not a drip. Tanks almost dry (externally) and i only used 1/4 tank for the 100 miles of motor (last time i got 30 miles out of 1/2)

i don't get it, its not leaking now at all (thankfully) but last night after brimming it the fuel was literally pouring out from up top?

Joints/conntections needed to settle? just an oddity?

odd

day two:

No Leak, had a look in the filler cap and it was loose :( so either i just plonked it back on after brimming it (literally brimming it) or it came un-done.

will keep an eye on it, and maybe not over do it at the next re-fill :)

I might take it to the garage once the tanks empty (going to london this weekend so that should burn some off) just to take it off and check out the fuel lines etc to confirm its good

thanks for the info and advice anyway chaps

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.