Driveshaft problem?

Biffy69

Hi people,

Can anyone tell me what kind of symptoms/noises I would get if I had a dodgy or failing drivshaft please?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve.

Edited by Biffy69

I'm assuming you mean a CV joint rather than the driveshaft itself.

Starts off with a soft grinding which can be heard if you have the wheel off the ground and spin it. May also be a whine, though this is more common on a wheel bearing. Then, a rhythmic clunking or clicking when going round corners, for outer CV. May be steering wheel vibration on turning, too.Will get progressively louder given time. Eventually, the bearing cage will shatter and you will be going nowhere.

A clunk when accelerating or decelerating often indicates a worn inner CV joint.

Worth looking under the car, at the boots on the CV joints (either end of the driveshaft). If you see a split one, accompanied by a nice coating of grease on the surrounding bodywork/wheel, then you'll be needing to replace at least the boot + grease, and the CV joint too if you didn't catch it quickly.

Angus

Well the outer joints were done last April so I can't see it being any of those, plus I have looked already and there is no sign of a split or grease on either side.

This is related to the noise thread I have mentioned in Gen 6 forum - it only happens when going straight or right which leads me to belive it's the left hand side.

If not the CV joint could it be the other end of the driveshaft?

Cheers.

Gen 6 forum? Is there a Gen 6 forum? :)

Ah, a grinding noise. Could be a multitude of things. Have you looked at your brake pads, for example? Splash shield bent and rubbing? Bit of grit jammed in somewhere? Could be a wheel bearing.

You have CV joints on the inner end of the driveshaft too, you know. ;)

You can jack that wheel up, spin it and see where the noise comes from. That would be a good start.

Angus

Both sides have farily new bearings, I have had discs and pads off both sides too and nothing.

I'm thinking inner shaft to be honest.

It did seem to go a few weeks ago when I topped up gearbox oil but it still didn't get to the top but now noise is back. Much chance this could be leaking at all?I won't be able to get out and look today but have been thinking about it and that's maybe the problem?

Does a gearbox oil leak leading to the inner shaft grinding make logical sense?

It has to be something like that 'cos the noise is even there with the engine off and var free wheeling.

Can't be moving engine part related - or could it?

;)

Hmm. Getting outside my knowledge now. I really think you need to get the front of the car in the air, spin the wheels and identify exactly where the noise is coming from.

Would probably be a good idea to make sure the gearbox oil is topped up properly, too, or you could be creating big problems for yourself.

You should be able to see any leaks, either on the ground or around the gearbox itself.

Angus

Aye mate will be having a wee nosey at the weekend.

I have had both wheels off the ground to check this ages ago and spun them but no noise happened so I am well baffled lol

Maybe it's the force of the car turning right putting pressure on the driveshaft maybe.

We shall see.

Cheers buddy ;)

Well, if it doesn't happen when it's cold you would kind of suspect that it's not purely mechanical.

You sure it's not a wheel bearing, though?

Where's everybody gone? Would've thought someone else would have chipped in 2p by now ...

Angus

Lol I thought that ;)

Yeah I thought maybe the bearing but I have checked both sides for play.

Also, it only happens when I'm gor straight or right so what's that all about????

Lifting the car up at the weekend 'cos I really am getting fed up with it now.

Thanks for helping mate, much appreciated :)

Try spinning the wheel by hand when it jacked up,A bearing doesn't have to have play to be noisey and knackered..

Oh man, the mystery deepens lol

Bur surely if it was it wouldn't matter if I was going left, righ or straight? lol

Ok mate, cheers.

Best way to find out I guess is to just put a different one on there.

Will have a look under the front tomorrow though just in case it's something else but I can't see it somehow.

Edited by Biffy69

Ok mate, cheers.

Best way to find out I guess is to just put a different one on there.

Will have a look under the front tomorrow though just in case it's something else but I can't see it somehow.

If you spin it and listen you normally can hear the rumbling/droning if there noisey...

Ok, I think I have figured this out.

I think the noise is way to loud to be a bearing, I mean, this noise makes people turn round when I'm driving along lol

I had a check all around underneath and could see nothing at all out of place or looking dodgy etc

Span both side fast and no drone or noise as all.

Ok, so a few weeks ago I put a fair amount of oil in the gearbox and it went.

I looked at the level of the oil in the box and could see none at all so put a litre in, and still I reckon it would've taken more.

Not so noisy now so will be doing the sam again and see how that goes.

As the noise is still there when the car not even running (but freewheeling downhill) I think the driveshaft is being starved of lubrication.

One question: are the boxes easy to stop leaking on these?

Its possible to get a leak from the seal where the d/s goes into the box but thats only usually if you've had the driveshaft off for some work and its not been re-fitted well or with a new seal.

That said, you'd notice from where you park up if the gear oil had leaked - its very noticable (and smelly lol)

re: bearings - when mine went it was extremely noisy towards the end, but was more of a knocking sound - sounded like someone with a hammer banging away under the car :blush:

OK, a mate has been doing some work on my garden today and he has has a listen whilst we went for a drive.

He then got me to drive around on full lock to the right whilst he listened andhas come to the conclusion it's the outer CV joint which I am glad of 'cos it will be an easy fix lol

Gonna take it off tomorrow and check/regrease.

If that cures it I will be replacing both sides just for peace of mind.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.