Need Help, bad engine rattle

halfpint

Basically ive just came back from france and norway so car been sitting 3 weeks then i had to drive 250 miles home.

Its developed a slight rattle when idling and when at low revs although hard to hear when driving.

Really needing someone whos in the know to have a listen for me.

Ill supply a crate if your in the know and can help me :)

Not feeling confident as a mechanic on camp said could be bottom end starting to go slightly or possible spun rod but he's only just qualified as a mechanic and says hes not sure!

Anyone help me out???

Edited by halfpint

Where does the noise come from?

Mine was noisey at the very top of the engine once warm (fine when initially started from cold) when idling and gradually disappeared as revs rose to 3k.

Valve clearances sorted it and nice and quiet again.

You still in fife? if so best bet would be take it along to Dastek/Performance HQ in dalgety bay. Mr T is rubbish - said njays rattle was 'normal' :). I guess by their standard it was within a rage of normal, but it was right at the far end of it, and given he was complaining I think they should have fixed it :/

I hate it when machines have tollerances and mechanics etc are happy to just leave you at the far edge. Usually you went to see them cause you want to see an improvement, ie get it back in the dead center Mr mechanic. Happy to pay you for it so get on with it!

</rant>

Mr t. Denied twice there was anything wrong quoting 'yeah some of them do that'

Lee at se7enmotorsport diagnosed it whilst it was up there getting the rotrex fitted. I hadn't even mentioned it too him at the time. Clearances were still within spec by Toyota stds but they allow for a huge clearance range which in turn allows the valves to be a bit slappy.

yeah you think that it could be that? it never made the noise before that i realised anyways. could they just start making noises randomly?

anyone know of a good place near darlington i could take it?

it could be the thrust bearing put your foot on the clutch and if t noice go's then i would say it is the thrust bearing starting to go. if so it could still last a while but at the end of the day you will be looking at a new clutch kit.

Not sure if the gen 7 engine has hydraulic valve lifters but if it does and the engine has been unused for some time, it could be that they have become a bit sticky and therefore the clearances aren't being closed properly? Just a thought.

I know you can get some oil treatments, might be worth trying that before spending some real cash on getting the clearances checked and adjusted...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.