ECU flashing..

Nutorious

don't think any celica has an ecu capable of reprogramming.

Gen 7 might, fairly sure it doesn't though.

But yeah, if you can you might see some slight gains, watch who's doing it though as you don't want a knackered engine. Turbo engines are easier to get bigger gains from.

As stated above it is not possible to reflash/remap any Celica ECU.

to mention further, this is because the Celica's ECU is "locked", which means it cannot be reprogrammed/remapped/flashed. I'm unsure of the older generations as I'm speaking from a Gen7 standpoint.

the only way to remap your ECU is to purchase an after-market piggy-back or standalone solution such as an Apexi PowerFC or AEM Engine Management System (EMS) which will ultimately replace the Celica's stock ECU.

Additionally, as mentioned above by joe588, naturally aspirated cars (i.e. cars without a turbo or supercharger) are harder to get big gains from while cars running forced induction (turbo & supercharged) are a lot easier to get significantly larger gains from, but ultimately the power you gain is limited by the quality and strength of the components in your car's engine.

I hope this helps.

• 3 weeks later...

I've bought an AEM EMS and that's going tobe piggy backed. Seth has it with an Apexi Power FC. Both ours are semi autos. Think VietTS (AEM) is going tobe piggy backed aswell and Mike101s AEM might be too. :lol:

It's todo with the harness setup. :)

Edited by Zorg

Basic functions for the auto gearbox are retained by the Toyota ECU but the AEM takes over all of the other key things. It's Plug and Play for the manual, a straight swap for the Toyota ECU and uses the normal harness etc.

But no, the stock ECU is not flashable and piggyback ECU's are usually outsmarted by the stock ECU. It's too clever for it's own good, when it sees that things are outside their usual boundaries it will try to pull them back either with timing or fuelling etc and eventually your expensive piggyback will be gaining you nothing unless you plan on retuning it regularly....

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.