Fuel MPG & Performance Tesco E5 VS Shell V Power

Hi All,

Just got back to driving the celica recently as its little better weather and using it as my main car for a few months.

Normally with my old daily I would put e5 for slight better mpg but it would be any cheap supermarket.

I used to always put shell v power in my celica but it is like 15-20p more than tesco e5 which makes a difference over time.

Does anyone find a difference in shell v power or tesco momentum? I know shell v power is likely better but is it worth it really? Obviously want to make sure car is healthy or would it be wort just putting a tank of v power on the odd occasion and tesco e5 (I've heard is the best one) on the regular as I do a lot of miles to places back and forth.

If your driving is fairly consistent then it's worth trying a tankful of each.

In Theory E5 will have slightly more calorific value than E10 (about 2%) plus a higher RON which allows slightly more ignition advance and hence more power/ecconomy but only on cars mapped for higher RON (JDM imports) in parts of the map where 95RON will cause knock retard - usually full throttle lower RPM.

Against this, E10 will run slightly weaker on open loop parts of the map (high throttle) which should increase ecconomy slightly.

I was always under the impression that tesco 99 gained the extra RON from Ethanol while Vpower was pure petrol, but this is only rumour.

Personally, I've never noticed any differences between any fuels. Driving technique and road conditions make far more difference than the fuel.

3 minutes ago, _Chris_ said:

If your driving is fairly consistent then it's worth trying a tankful of each.

In Theory E5 will have slightly more calorific value than E10 (about 2%) plus a higher RON which allows slightly more ignition advance and hence more power/ecconomy but only on cars mapped for higher RON (JDM imports) in parts of the map where 95RON will cause knock retard - usually full throttle lower RPM.

Against this, E10 will run slightly weaker on open loop parts of the map (high throttle) which should increase ecconomy slightly.

I was always under the impression that tesco 99 gained the extra RON from Ethanol while Vpower was pure petrol, but this is only rumour.

Personally, I've never noticed any differences between any fuels. Driving technique and road conditions make far more difference than the fuel.

Ive been told it has to be 5 no matter what so I do use e5 no matter what on my celica I'm more just concerned is it worth using shell v power or tesco momentum (tescos e5). Shell is a lot more expensive is the only thing but I'm just wondering what others use or if they find any difference.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.