Rust on brake drums inside rear discs

Mark B

Hello.

Just wondering if others have an issue with rust build up in parking brake drums inside rear discs?

I do less than 2k miles a year on average in my Celica gen 6 GT and during the winter months and mostly during the summer I keep it in the garage with the handbrake released.

The brakes aren't seizing but there is some dragging noise and slight vibration coming from them. A little bit more dragging noise and vibration than I would like, especially when driving round a corner and even more especially if I have some weighty objects in the boot and I drive round a corner.

My mechanic is happy that the wheel bearings and brake callipers are healthy.

The rear discs were replaced about 8 years ago (11k miles).

We believe the noise and vibration is being caused by the parking brake.

Any thoughts on how I can keep the level of rust down during my limited use of the car without having to strip down and clean out the rear brakes?

I read a post which mentioned a parking brake shoe bedding in process whereby the parking brake is applied to a small degree while driving at 30mph for 1/4 mile.

Maybe this would be a suitable method of preventing the build up of rust on the drum - shoe contact surfaces? Perhaps on a monthly frequency?

Thoughts and suggestions most welcome.

Thanks.

Mark.

5 hours ago, Mark B said:

...the parking brake is applied to a small degree while driving at 30mph...

I've done something similar in the past.

Drive at 30-40mph, check that there isn't anyone close behind you, apply the handbrake for three seconds using light to moderate force, release and reapply once or twice more. Keep the handbrake release button held in while you do this.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Xanadu said:

I've done something similar in the past.

Drive at 30-40mph, check that there isn't anyone close behind you, apply the handbrake for three seconds using light to moderate force, release and reapply once or twice more. Keep the handbrake release button held in while you do this.

Thanks Xanadu.

I thought others must have experienced this issue, particularly those who like me drive few miles each year.

I'll have a go at that and hopefully it'll clean up the parking brake surfaces.

I'm about to put it in the garage for the winter months, probably at the end of this month after road tax SORN (sooner if the weather gets colder and the salt grit spreaders are deployed) so I'll go through that handbrake process a couple of times before then and another couple of times in March when it comes back out of hibernation.

If I get positive results I might repeat the process once a month.

You say you have done this in the past. What do you do now to prevent this rust build up issue from recurring in your car?

Thanks for you help.

Mark.

10 hours ago, Mark B said:

You say you have done this in the past. What do you do now to prevent this rust build up issue from recurring in your car?

My car is currently off the road, but I'll be using the same procedure after it's repaired.

• 3 months later...

With low-mileage cars, rust on the discs can be an issue, and so too the problem of sticking calipers. I occasionally do a trip on a road with very little traffic and quite a steep and long hill. On the way down, if no one is behind, I take the chance to "exercise the brakes" in the hope that it will have some restorative effects :shrug:. Always good when the car slows well and show no pulling to either side.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.