To Mandrel or not to Mandrel

Getting my exhaust made up in a couple weeks and have the option to have normal hydraulic bends or mandrel bends. The mandrel will cost more depending on how may bends so wondered if it's worth the extra? Thanks in advance.

A hydraulic crush bend is exactly as it sounds, you'd notice the pipe have a smaller diameter on each bend, obviously causing restriction.

Mandrel is much cleaner and bends remain uniform. As stated well worth paying for, more so if boosted.

No probs dude.

The crush bends will work but might affect performance and hold back power. It would need to be replaced in the future if you wanted more anyway.

Worth while just getting the best now so its future proof. Thats how I see it.

I have crush bent from Infinity 2.5", not sure if its changed when I had mine done they only had mandrel for 3". I didn't check at the time and ended up with crush bent. It bothered me at first, however the force of the gases coming out from the rotrex is so great I had advice (Lee) that it made little difference. Looking at the power/torque curves it seems to bear that out. So if I did it again maybe would just come down to preference. Couple of other things are: there should be a gap to the rear valence of ~>10-15mm otherwise it will start melting, like mine. Maybe go for a bolt-on cat/de-cat in case you eventually try different options. I had a straight through exhaust with two inline silencers, noise seems ok for trackdays even with the decat. A back box can get blown apart. The cat I originally chose was a 3" magnaflow 200 CEL, it survived two dyno tunes fine, ultimately I found it not much use. Consider to have a bung/sensor fitted on the downpipe for a wideband AFR that helps with tuning. I did get some cracking on the exhaust and had it re-welded could be due to hitting a kerb as its low.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.