Cleaning my sump today

I'm dropping and cleaning my oil sump today on my gen 7

What is best to clean it with? Should I use a product or just wipe out the sludge with some cloth?

Iv got some basic high temp liquid gasket that should do

Any random pointers appreciated thanks

Jon

Removing: I found it best to take the drivers wheel off, and tap in a stripping knife (like you'd use for wall paper) with a hammer, pull out and repeat in a different area. Once I'd done all I could from that angle I pushed it back in and then tapped another in to the same spot to jimmy the sump off. Once it started to give it was easy. Just don't tap it further than an inch or so in.

Cleaning: Bucket of hot soapy water and a sponge did for me.

Fitting: Don't leave any bits off (like the oil pickup gasket) and make yourself do it again like I did :P

Haha cheers Dan, I got it back on now want too bad like you said

Got a trowel in between it and the block and once it started peeling I just pulled it off with my hands not too bad at all!

Wasn't any proper sludge in there really just black oil, I'm surprised at the colour of my oil after about 3000 miles, but that oil should act as a flush now the good stuff is going in

And against recommendations I ran an engine flush through it for 5 minutes

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.