Kumho Ecsta changed to Hankook Ventus S1 Evo 2 K117

Anybody on here had any expirence with the Ecsta V70A.

Apparently its the control tyre for the BMW Championship and TVR Tasmin Challenge.

And its road legal :) and cost about £77.00 each from SRB power

Edited by jeffrosie

My pal uses them on his 260bhp Corolla on track and sometimes on the road.

Great dry grip but not at all good in the wet and with standing water they are lethal....you become a passenger.

I've been in the car when it's happened and it's very, very scary when you suddenly cross over to the other side of the road!!

Just as a bit of reference.....my car needs better tyres than the normal road tyres I can get in 14" and so for the last month I have really, really been researching List1B tyres like the Kumho and others.

i just can't get the road tyres I would really like in 14" and after reading thousands of posts and opinions I have come to the conclusion that it's not really a great idea to have super grippy road legal track tyres for everyday road use.

Some do use them all the time and others have had very scary moments with them......as in my instance and we were only doing 30mph in a village.

I travel the motorway south to do all major work on my car and a few times I have returned in monsoon conditions and I think i would be really frightened trying to do 40mph on a motorway with wagons up my arse and spray everywhere!

I'm either going to go up to 15" wheels which isn't my preferred option or go with Yokohama AO21R's....still a list B tyre but with tread and used by the road rally guys in the dry and wet.

Only downside is around 4-5k miles but that's about 6-8 months motoring for me and worth it........my car is really my only indulgence these days!

Good luck mate!

We run the V70a's in the Ma5daracing championship.

They're an excellent dry tyre, but in the wet they're... interesting.

They're a good few seconds a lap faster than the KH39 road tyre which the Mk1s run, but as soon as the heavens open, they're a few seconds a lap slower.

If you're doing a dry trackday, they're easily on par with the R888s and A048s, but take a spare set of wets just in case.

On the road... stick to a road tyre :)

Just as a bit of reference.....my car needs better tyres than the normal road tyres I can get in 14" and so for the last month I have really, really been researching List1B tyres like the Kumho and others.

i just can't get the road tyres I would really like in 14" and after reading thousands of posts and opinions I have come to the conclusion that it's not really a great idea to have super grippy road legal track tyres for everyday road use.

Some do use them all the time and others have had very scary moments with them......as in my instance and we were only doing 30mph in a village.

I travel the motorway south to do all major work on my car and a few times I have returned in monsoon conditions and I think i would be really frightened trying to do 40mph on a motorway with wagons up my arse and spray everywhere!

I'm either going to go up to 15" wheels which isn't my preferred option or go with Yokohama AO21R's....still a list B tyre but with tread and used by the road rally guys in the dry and wet.

Only downside is around 4-5k miles but that's about 6-8 months motoring for me and worth it........my car is really my only indulgence these days!

Good luck mate!

perhaps a wise move brian ;)

remember the conversation we had about this on the phone before xmas- remember my yaris put out 67 BHP and although that was awesome in the wet with R888's on (to the extent i stopped taking wets to the track with me) a powerful RWD car would be totally different :)

perhaps a wise move brian ;)

remember the conversation we had about this on the phone before xmas- remember my yaris put out 67 BHP and although that was awesome in the wet with R888's on (to the extent i stopped taking wets to the track with me) a powerful RWD car would be totally different :)

I do remember that conversation Dan and it made me research the whole tyre thing! Cheers!

At a track if it rains really heavy and you have the wrong tyres on you can choose not to go out but 350 miles away from home and you have to get back on slicks in the rain is another matter....worries me.

When I decide to have a play in the car on moorland roads it really handles and turns in well but I need stiff sidewalls because of the hard suspension and most road going tyres have soft walls...I would be scrubbing the name off the sidewalls! :)

I think as this discussion progresses the OP will have a bit of an idea where he wants to go.

the beams came with ecstas on it and they where brilliant in the dry really good grip, cant speak for the wet though as i was already pushing my luck driving a car with no doors, no front wings or bumper and no bonnet :sofa: and also no seatbelt :P

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.