Locks dont work

matt1280

Just been out to my car (gen6) and unlocked drivers side door and warmed the car up for a bit as im finishing work soon,

When i got out i couldnt lock the doors with the key from either side, my fobs havent worked for ages so its my only way of locking the car!

It locks ok from the button on the inside on the door

Any ideas????

Frozen or gummed up I would guess. Drivers side lock on mine was getting VERY sticky once the cold weather hit, to the point where one morning I could not even get the key into the lock! Squirted some WD-40 in it though and no bother at all since :D

It's frozen a few times but I'd opened it a few minutes before an all was okay, anyway went back out an it opened straight away!!!! Weird, these cars are like herbie! Mind of there own

I'll squirt some wd-40 in them tomorrow though for safe measure

Not wd-40?

What should I use

i just use some spray grease, wd40 is mainly a de-greaser

all i had lying around last time was lithium grease, poped a bit of that in turned the key half dozen times and was cured ;) there is probably a better usited grease but its all i had

was jus about to say spray some grease in it, not WD40

celica locks tend to stick in winter time ;)

WD40 is a lubricant, anti seize/water reppelling substance. It is also the stuff the locksmiths use who I work with in every lock they work on. Or you can get all posh and use http://www.google.co.uk/shopping/product/15593432793315046445?q=graphite%20lock%20lubricant&hl=en&client=ms-android-orange-gb&v=133247963&biw=360&bih=615&sa=X&ei=xtUBUb-9F-iJ0AWX14CQBQ&ved=0CEoQ8wIwAA

Just dont spray a shitload as it can attract dirt to stick, not much of an issue with most car doors cos they have a dust guard when you remove the key.

Edited by tombrady

WD40 is a lubricant, anti seize/water reppelling substance.

This was my thoughts. Can only freeze if water/moisture gets in. So with WD being a water repelent its going to push the moisture out leaving a nice dry lock. Ok it wont be as lubricated as with true grease, but WD is still a lubricant as well, and how many of us have a can of spray grease to hand!

As it happens I do infact, but its chain grease for the motorbike and I reckon that would be a bit think for squirting into a lock mechanism :blink:

This morning i suffered from this, but instead of using WD40 (which can wash away some of the Grease that should be in the lock as a lubrical) I dip the key into a pot of grease and open and close the lock a few times.

I was sure wd40 was more of a de-greaser and cleaner, I use it to clean stuff and free stubborn rusty bolts but when you spray it on something it does evaporate pretty fast where as a bit of grease will be there for yonks

locksmiths etc will use WD40 because its cheap ;) and will free of a stiff lock

Narr its not for the stiffness dude its to lubricatate it so it doesnt damage the pins when they pick um :) there shouldnt be a lot of grease in there as if theres too much the pins wont line up properly in the barrel, then your up shit creek, usually when its raining or in a hurry! If ya want to lube um up properly, the graphite stuff is beast. But cant see many folks buying it :)

I was always told by My Dad (yeeee when i was living at home) never use penetrating oil on locks as it causes issues further up the road.

We had god knows how many arguments we had about this as every year my Mini locks would stop working, until one year the smart ass put some light weight oil (like the stuff you put into Stromberg carbs) into the lock, from that day on it never failed and i have always put grease or lightweight oil into mine.

TBH its all a matter of personal choice.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.