engine oil

tony188

hi all

went to garage to get price for oil change. got good price he said 15w-40 semi-synthetic oil, but i thought oil used is 10w-40 for my car,its a st202 2.0gt 95 m-reg

any tips on right oil to use i would be very greatfully

chears tony

If money is tight, Tony..use 10W40.

If you can afford it, 5W40. Millers Trident is not particularly expensive in that viscosity, or possibly the QX which is EuroCarParts own brand.

A 15W will be like soup during a Scottish winter when you come to cold start the car.

Hi Tony

15w-40 is a very basic option and Kev is right about the cold starts and the other grades - 10w-40 is fine , but a 5w-40 is the better option. We've got a couple of Fuchs bargains at the moment.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-984-fuchs-titan-supersyn-5w-40-high-performance-fully-synthetic-engine-oil.aspx

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-990-fuchs-titan-syn-mc-10w-40-high-performance-semi-synthetic-engine-oil-formerly-known-as-fuchs-titan-xtr.aspx

Cheers

Tim

Hey Tim,

I've just ordered some of your 5w40 Titan Fuchs and a K&N oil filter. Can you confirm that all gen 7 celica oil filtrs are the same from 2000 onwards as only one was listed for the gen 7 celica, when there are two engine options; the 140 vvti and the 190 vvtLi.

Hey Tim,

I've just ordered some of your 5w40 Titan Fuchs and a K&N oil filter. Can you confirm that all gen 7 celica oil filtrs are the same from 2000 onwards as only one was listed for the gen 7 celica, when there are two engine options; the 140 vvti and the 190 vvtLi.

Thanks for the order.

Yes, it's the same filter for both versions.

Cheers

Tim

i used 10-40 semi synthetic in my gen6 got good price on service pack from mr t i always use genuine toyota oil & filter they not much more than pattern

It's a bit weird with oil, a lot of people think of it as genuine, rather than own brand. The own brand ones are the basic option really, they just meet the needs of the car when it's standard and used sensibly. With proper branded oils, they are made to exceed specifications (they will be used in many different vehicles, some of which will need better oils than others). Also, a 10w-40 semi synthetic is an okay grade to use in a Celica, but changing to a 5w-40 increases the cold start protection and going for a synthetic rather than semi gives better all round protection and lasts longer.

Cheers

Tim

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.