Coolant disappearing :(

Gimba

My coolant is being stupid, at first I thought due to it being colder the coolant condenses and obviously by doing that it shows up lower on the tank

but now, after driving about, yes, the coolants higher, but only JUST over the low mark, when last week when it was cold I filled it to full, drove around for half hour, come back and the level was back down to low. So i wanna find out where (if any) leaks are to start with, I live Rm5 area so hopefully someone close by can help

Edited by Gimba

Did you get under the car bud, whip the drivers side plastics off & have a look at the lower part of the rad?

If there's air in the system & you don't actually have a leak then the coolant will be lost through the blow off pipe - air is taking the place of liquid so as your coolant expands it's getting rid of the excess pressure/volume, hence why your coolant is getting lower. Everytime you top it up it will vent the excess again.

As far as I know, we don't have radiator caps, the only cap we have is the one on the res tank

J03, hmmm not been under it yet, have to try that over the weekend

Edited by Gimba

As far as I know, we don't have radiator caps, the only cap we have is the one on the res tank

J03, hmmm not been under it yet, have to try that over the weekend

Yeah 9 times out of 10 they tend to go in the same area matey - lower drivers side. I scratched my head for a while as the rad looked fine from the front but as soon as I got underneath, it was a totally different story. Look at the sump, if it's covered in dried coolant (white) then the rad is about to spill its guts completely.

Yeah, I checked oil, spark plugs, tried to smell a "sweet" smell from the exhaust, everything is fine, no white smoke or any smoke

Mate said maybe try some "K-Seal" so I might check that out,i'm pretty sure, it is only happening when in lift, or higher end revs, thats pretty much the only time I notice it alot

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.