AirCon conversion from R12 gas to R13a

Had the conversion done on a Pajero a few years ago.

Mobile aircon guy did it.

Cost me, iirc, about £90 and took about two hours.

Basically they empty the system, test for leaks, chuck in some kind of protective oil substance and fill it with new gas.

Worked fine.

New gas in old system is apparently ok, it'll work, but without the proper conversion and sealing with oil, it can degrade the seals in the system,so I was told and researched.

Cheers mate.

Yes. Apparently if u just put in R13a into R12 system it works.

But it will leak more and really need new seals etc which mean more £££ :-(

Just hoping for some local recommendations :-)

It is unlikely if the seals on your compressor will hold out long, presuming you are referring to your 162.

I have a 183 and the compressor gave up spectacularly and immediately after filling with new gas and oil. We fitted a second hand compressor from a 205 using some bits from my old one to take care of different bolt centres.

Then a couple of weeks later the radiator blew. So you need a good system to start with or it will fail due to the higher pressures.

It is unlikely if the seals on your compressor will hold out long, presuming you are referring to your 162.

I have a 183 and the compressor gave up spectacularly and immediately after filling with new gas and oil. We fitted a second hand compressor from a 205 using some bits from my old one to take care of different bolt centres.

Then a couple of weeks later the radiator blew. So you need a good system to start with or it will fail due to the higher pressures.

Darn!

I need someone to recommend me a very very good air condition garage! :please:

Need to change the gas to R134a . R12 is no longer available, best if you change the reciever drier at the same time and fit quick coupler adapters to the screw couplers the R12 system used. If you were closer id see if i could borrow our kit from work and do it for you.

Need to change the gas to R134a . R12 is no longer available, best if you change the reciever drier at the same time and fit quick coupler adapters to the screw couplers the R12 system used. If you were closer id see if i could borrow our kit from work and do it for you.

Thks Ian :thumbs:

I do have some sort of idea what needs to be done when it goes into a garage - not something I would even contemplate to DIY! :o

The Local Garage search continues...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.