should i be worryed?

my mechanic has been saying for a while now that the front crank shaft oil seal is leaking slighty,im gonna get it done but is this a commen thing on the gt engine? or is the start of bad things? im gonna do the cambelt while its being done at same time

I would say its just the age of the engine, if your going to go to the effort of replacing it you might aswell replace as many parts as possible whilst that side of the engine is apart

e.g.

• belt
  • tensioners (all)
  • water pump
  • oil pump
  • seals etc

Should be fine Rich. Those oil seals on the cranks and cams can get a little brittle over time and having it replaced now is good maintenance, good man! I'm sure your mechanic would be the first to say if it was impending doom :thumbs:

cool was thinking about doing the water pump as well at the same time is this even more work? i wont be doing the job myself,how long do these gt engines go for ? mines at 175k now

nobody knows exactly how long a rev 3 3sge can go for but i seen one for sale a few years ago with over 250k and there is a gen 5 on here done over that on an original engine given that the rev 3 is stronger and more reliable it should go for another 170k if looked after

your water pump isnt an expensive part but to change it means a belt of job so whilst the belt is getting done your just saving on potential labour :thumbs:

115k not to bad really..no leaks ,doesn't burn oil or make any unwanted noises..runs sweet..

less than average and if above is anything to go by many years of trouble free ahead :thumbs:

mines is on 100k and the rev 3 could do with a major service I bet if it wasn;t the engine would give up in no time

100k on a lesser make like Vauxhall or Ford it would be knackered,but this Jap stuff is built to last,well the old Jap stuff is ,not sure about newer jap cars...

My old gen 5 had 165k on it when i got it and i gave it a dam good thrashing and it faired well..no running issues..

well im always changeing the oil every 5k normally and filter,and new plugs every year,engine coolant gets done,ive had new fuel filter,brake fluid changed,the car gets everything done what it needs even if money is tight,i make sure nothing is left not done. just had a new clutch put in as well,feels much better...might replace wheel bearings next or get the brake calipers re frubbed,ive heard big red are good?

I've known a few of my local ones have started leaking from the oil pump gasket. The bolts seem to come loose then the gasket blows out. Pain to change as it's a sump off job.

Nothing to worry about though.

Tbh mate most cars with half that mileage have a certain level of small oil leaks.

Is best to have it done just to keep on top of it, but not worth panicing about.

especially as even if the belt does break it won't do any damage.

As Bigb said stick that many miles on a vauxhall, if you can.

just dont really know what to do,as its done 176k now and i wanna carry on doing it up,but then a part of me thinks yer but its done shit loads of miles,if it had only done about 100k it be diffrent

i bet your engine/gearbox etc is in better nick tho and has got less wear and tear

my engine is spluttering and wont idle right + my gearbox wont go into 3rd or 4th at high revs :D

milleage is nothing its who has had it before you and looked after it :thumbs:

guess your right,well i know oilver looked after it for good few years before me,i guess i could always do a re build if it ever needed it one day

you have probably been replacing everything as you have went along anyways, meaning an engine rebuild (if it even needed it) or replace things like wheel bearings will keep your car going for another 15 years :thumbs:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.