Power boost valve

GTsillycar

I'm thinking of fitting a power boost valve / fuel pressure regulator.

Heard good things about the FSE in the past, has anyone used one and if so are they a worth while purchase?

http://www.powerboostvalve.co.uk/fse-toyota-celica-gt-20-19901994--power-boost-valve-vk384toy2h_p1600531.htm

You might feel some gain, but is unlikely to be worth spending 100 notes on.

These work best on non-performance cars, for example, when these first entered the mainstream tuning market a lot of vauxhall owners (with ecotek engines) swore blind they made an amazing difference.

A 3sge is in a bit of a different league though ain't it?

Most of it had been (to use an adex-ism) 'designed to fuck'! It's why it's so good to start with, and subsequently so hard to improve upon.

Toyota had 2 previous generations of 3sge & 2 since yours. In that time, they've managed to get nearly 40 extra bhp from what was an advanced engine to start with!

My advice would be save your cash...

... Then spend it on some gt4 brakes.

Wouldn't go spending £100 on one but may be able to get one second hand.

I know the 3s-ge lump is hard to improve upon but i'm just thinking each little thing helps.

I got things like deck spacer, magnecor leads and de-cat on my list, thinking this could be worth adding just for a little more edge.

Definately feeling a better throttle response since K&N filter, platinum plugs, manifold wrap, throttle body clean up and egr blanked. Now i want more :D

Brake wise i'm just planning ebc front pads to match the rears and some good quality grooved discs.

plus front and rear strut braces, then get my trd skirts and rear lip fitted and painted then have Mondo heat my seats and omg this list never ends :lol:

Fair play, maybe go for it then?

I've always seen pbv's (on celicas at least) as the kind of mod you do when you've run out of other things to spend your money on...

If you can get a cheap one, I guess you'll be able to speak from experience should anyone else ask in future?

Not trying to piss on your fireworks or anything, I've just done most of the little (cheap) mods on my first celica & it was better, but not by much.

It's like the old saying goes:

N/A = The expensive way to go slow.

Even interior mods don't blow my skirt up any more.

These days I'd rather spend the same amount of cash in one go by doing a swap.

Significant gains with the potential for so much more.

Thing is, if swaps aren't your thing your n/a options are severly limited.

Have you tried looking at what the honda boys are doing these days?

Fitting a larger throttle body or boring out your current one is quite common.

^^

I speak the truth! :D

I genuinely think that if someone asked me what the best way to spend £1000 on a celica was, I'd say service the car, get everything working how toyota intended (this excludes egr valves) then spend the rest on suspension & brakes.

Engine last. Every time.

Just dug this out from the feb issue of jap performance.

Stamfordwheels1548-1.jpg

There's your answer buddy.

Edited by Adex

this is the order i have worked in

tyres and wheels first - good tyres though

then rebuilt the standard brakes with new discs + pads + shoes and cables

replaced all 4 wheel bearings on the car

changed to superstrut and TRD springs and shocks

next is engine swap

always pointless having more power than you car can deliver to the road,

I genuinely think that if someone asked me what the best way to spend £1000 on a celica was, I'd say service the car, get everything working how toyota intended (this excludes egr valves) then spend the rest on suspension & brakes.

Engine last. Every time.

Precisely what i have done with my 5, i have rebuilt the engine from the ground up working to bottom tolerances where ever possible, and now she is running sweet, no point doing much else to the engine really

Now to get the handling properly sorted out

Saying that, a catch can can be very useful to stop all the oilly crap lining the inside of your plenum and intake manifold

Saying that, a catch can can be very useful to stop all the oilly crap lining the inside of your plenum and intake manifold

The st205's catch can is a particularly poor effort though, it does self-drain back into the sump which a cool feature, but the air outlet is directly opposite the oily air intake!

I'd be surprised if it actually does much catching at all!

^^

Engine last. Every time.

Just dug this out from the feb issue of jap performance.

Stamfordwheels1548-1.jpg

There's your answer buddy.

In the words of Hyper cat wrap John " The Truth "

Oil catch can is definately in the list after cleaning out my inlet and throttle body

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.