Bit of Aero for those who like that sort of thing PART 3

CW Racing

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just had time to look At the results of 'Craig's end plates' this morning. Looks to have split the difference on the downforce numbers but I will go through it maybe tonight.

Numbers is about 460N so so ever the wing with no end plates it produces about 8.6% more down force with small end plates and 21% more downforce with the big ones on. Obviously this needs refining to suit the car to retain as much of this as possible.

Edited by CW Racing

I keep chipping away at this as and when i get 5 mins to myself..

been reading back what i have said and to clear up one thing... im only measuring the forces that the wing elements them selves give... not the wing and the end plates together as we are looking at how adding things to the wing affects how the wing planes become better or worse at producing downforce and obviously try to quantify this with some numbers..

:)

maybe a strange request but could you do a mock up of a Gen7 with a vortex generator on the roof like on the EVO's, and with fins on the front bumper and the rear bumper diffuser.

its been going through my head for months but am a bit scared of the possible draw backs if any.

thanks for any possible help :xmas_cool:

so with the 20mm tall gurney removed the downforce goes down to 320N and 43Ndrag... Ratio of 7.4

so even with the gurney removed you actually have an more efficient wing so less of the cars BHP is going into overcoming drag and is going into speed.

so it has 32% less down force but has 53%less drag.

Quick Ansys question if you don't mind? Not related to flow though..

Are the models a complete assembly? How are they fixed and what are the relationships between the support and the wing? i.e. have you modelled bolting etc? Cheers!

Of course, I'm not criticising. Ansys has a number of different options as to how things are fixed together for simulations, I'm yet to find a standardised way that people approach it. I was just curious to see if you'd looked at it and had any thoughts. Just for interest really.

so with the 20mm tall gurney removed the downforce goes down to 320N and 43Ndrag... Ratio of 7.4 so even with the gurney removed you actually have an more efficient wing so less of the cars BHP is going into overcoming drag and is going into speed. so it has 32% less down force but has 53%less drag.

so here are the screen shots from the wing with no gurney to have something to compare to

nogurney_1.jpg

nogurney.jpg

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.